Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 2012 R1: Frame Analyzer Invalid File

spacedali
Beginner
Hello,

when I try to open a frame with GPA Frame Analyzer the following message is shown and the file won't load:

"Device type D3DDEVTYPE_HAL specified in frame capture file is not supported."

What could be the reason for this error? And how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Ps: The frame capture file was created on the same machine.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
hello,

Can you please right-click on the Intel GPA monitor icon in the notification tray and copy the information from "about" here? If Intel GPA also created a "crash file", please also include that information here.

Also, is it possible for you to send a copy of your frame capture file to us?

Regards,

Neal

PS: one or two other customers have seen this, but we've never been able to gather enough information from those customers to understand the underlying cause of this issue.

0 Kudos
spacedali
Beginner
Sure. You can download the frame capture file here:

http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/~sturn/Climber_2012_04_03__22_52_03_545.gpa_frame

Here is the information from "about...":

Windows 7, 64-bit DEP enabled
Num Processors: 8
Memory: 8139MB
System BIOS: Alienware A05 (06/24/2011)
Video BIOS: Hardware Version 0.0 (12/10/20)
Driver 0:
Device: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.
Date: 12-2-2010
Version: 8.800.6.0
VendorId: 1002
ProductId: 6720
Stepping: 0
No support for GPA Instrumentation
GPA install directory: C:\Program Files\Intel\GPA\2012 R1\
GPA version: 12.1.166792
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current GPA 2012 R1 (12.1.166792)

No crash file seems to be created.

Hope this information helps.
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Thanks... I've downloaded the file and will start looking at it tomorrow.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

One more thing... you might have an "old" driver -- can you check whether there's a newer driver and see if you get the same results with the latest version?

thanks!

Neal
0 Kudos
spacedali
Beginner
Thanks!

I have checked all my drivers and all have the newest version.

I forgot to mention that the strange thing is that the first time I monitored my application with the GPA Monitor I could open the captured frames with the GPA Frame Analyzer without any error. The next day I started GPA Monitor again and suddenly this error gets thrown when I want to open the frame with the GPA Frame analyzer. I made no changes to the system or to the application...
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
hello,

Thanks for the additional information, and for checking for the latest driver.

I've tried loading your file on a couple of systems here, and all seems okay. I've forwarded the problem to our development team to see if they can reproduce it on one of their systems.

One more thought Since Intel GPA seemed to work okay the first time, have you rebooted your system since the problem occurred? I'm wondering whether something on your system has gone wrong, and a reboot may reset some counters or other parameters that have become corrupted.

So we'll keep checking to see if we can find what's going on with this particular problem.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
spacedali
Beginner
Yes I have rebooted the system and the problem has occurred after the reboot so the reboot might have changed some params. Strange that the frame loads on your machines...
The frame seems to be loaded correctly but then the error message appears and the file gets closed...
Thanks for your effort!
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

So is the issue with only with a specific frame, or do others work ok? For example, try to capture and load something with the gpasample.exe file -- does this still show the issue?

Thanks!

Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello again,

One more thing... it sounds like you may be running Intel GPA on a "hybrid" device with multiple GPU's. If this is the case, you should disable one of the devices from the "Device Manager" control panel. The reason for this is Intel GPA doesn't work with hybrid devices where you can switch "on the fly" between devices -- these systems sometimes send confusing information back to Intel GPA about which device is active/available.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos