Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 4.1: Trace Capture disabled with error: "The timestamp counter (TSC) in this computer may be unsynchronized among the multiple CPU cores."

dp007
Beginner
Hey guys,

I recently downloaded the Intel GPA 4.1 and everything worked fine for me except for the Trace Capture. When trying to capture a trace GPA announces that "The timestamp counter in this computer maybe unsynchronized among the multiple CPU cores. Tracing is disabled." Currently, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and an Intel Core2Quad Q9400 2.67Ghz.
Are there any workarounds regarding this issue?

Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

The Intel GPA Platform Analyzer requires accurate synchronization of the clocks across the multiple cores of the CPU (each core has its own clock). Most systems released over the past couple of years appear to have the hardware support that guarantees accurate synchonization. But for older systems (and some netbooks) the system is not able to guarantee synchronization, so rather than display inaccurate data we have chosen to disable tracing entirely.

Your only option at this time is to use a system that is known to have accurate synchronization -- you should try either the 1st-generation or 2nd-generation Intel Core Processors (i3, i5, and i7). There may be other systems that work as well, but the Intel GPA team doesn't maintain a detailed list of systems and whether they support tracing or not.

Hopefully this helps -- even though I know I may not have given you a way of "fixing" this for your particular system configuration.

Regards,

Neal

ps-> I'm doing some further research on your problem, and will update this response as I learn more, as well as use this info to create a Knowledge Base (KB) article on the topic.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

An article on this topic has been published, and can be found here.

Some more background on the topic -- trace capture files require very fine precision when monitoring the operation of your game across multiple threads on multiple CPU's and the GPU. Thus, Intel GPA takes advantage of recent hardware features that ensure accurate clocks independent of the power management scheme you are using.

Also, I have passed your comments to the Development Team, and they are considering alternative options for handling this limitation.

Regards,

Neal

PS-> This error message only affects trace capture files for use with the Intel GPA Platform Analyzer. You are still able to capture frame files for use with the Intel GPA Frame Analyzer (where you can perform detailed frame analysis and timing down to the draw call level).
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

This issue has been resolved in later versions of the tool, including Intel GPA 4.2 (the latest release).

Please download the latest version of Intel GPA from the Intel GPA Home Page.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos