Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Intel GPA and 3D web application

seb__seb
Beginner

Hi,

according this help: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/gpa/12.4/Optimizing_Graphics-rich_Web_Content.htm I should be able to exploit all the GPA features inside the browser. 

However, although I managed to run GPA inside the web page successfully, there is no way I can use the shortcut combinations, therefore I cannot even capture the frame as explained on the help page, not even using the page http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html

Can you please advise me? I really need to use GPA inside the Unity web player (assuming the problem is the same, it runs, but I cannot use the shortcuts)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello, Our help file does provide some information on alternatives to use when all keystrokes are being captured by the game/application:
  • use Capture Frame/Capture Trace buttons of the Intel GPA System Analyzer (remote version, not HUD version)
  • set up a trigger in the Intel(R) GPA Monitor to automatically create frame/trace capture files when certain conditions occur, for example when FPS < 20
Hopefully one of these two options will work for you; let me know if this works for you. Also, you might want to update to the latest version of Intel GPA, 2012 R5, which is available from our home page (http://www.intel.com/software/gpa). Regards, Neal
0 Kudos
seb__seb
Beginner
great, thank you. However I just want to repeat that the same problem occurs with the acquarium demo (http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html)..I assume the keystrokes are not being captured there.
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello, Nothing that Intel GPA is doing should disable keystrokes, even within a browser. In other words, if the game/app is allowing the keystrokes to pass through to Intel GPA we should be able to use these for triggering frame captures and so on. For example, take a look at gpasample.exe -- keystroke combinations used by Intel GPA work OK with this app, and with other games and applications being analyzed by other customers. Also, have you tried multiple browsers? Some may work better than others, and be sure to read the Intel GPA help on using browsers, as you'll need to ensure that you have the proper settings enabled for Chrome and IE, for example. Regards, Neal
0 Kudos
seb__seb
Beginner
the Intel GPA System Analyzer solved all the problems and everything work smoothly. However let me answer your last reply since I do not understand why it is still referring to a generic "game/app". While your comments are correct, I was not talking about a generic game, I was talking about the aquarium example that, if I got correctly, is one of your demo. I'd like to know if running this demo I should be able to use the keystrokes or not, because currently I cannot use them whatever browser I try (and yes, I used the settings explained on the help document)
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello, Sorry for the confusion, but the aquarium example was not written by the Intel GPA team. The only example written by the Intel GPA team is gpasample. But we wanted to show that Intel GPA can analyze accelerated graphics within a browser window, and we chose to point to the aquarium sample (which is on a non-Intel server). So we haven't looked at this code to determine whether it shows techniques that are appropriate for you (or others) -- we simply wanted to let you see that the toolset works with WebGL applications. And I'm expecting that our technical writer tested the examples on this page, which is why she included the note at the bottom of the page for how to get Intel GPA to work around applications that trap keystrokes. But I will let our documentation team know that we should improve this page so that people don't assume that these are Intel-written examples. Thanks again for your use of Intel GPA, and I'm glad that you're able to get results with the Unity web player. Regards, Neal
0 Kudos