Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Intel GPA with java and OpenGL

Callum_S_
Beginner

I figured it would be possible to use the Intel GPA along with the Graphics Frame Analyser for OpenGL to analyse an application built using a Java OpenGL wrapper like JOGL given it's usage with android but It wouldn't attach to it. Is this going to be something that is supported in future versions? Because I find it surprising that AMD's CodeXL allows me to use it and rather well with it's OpenGL metrics, but I would much prefer access to the extensive set of metrics the Intel version would bring to my Intel GPU.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Ya it is weird.  It might be a bug, I'll have the development team look into it.  If it's not too much trouble, could you copy the first two lines of your msinfo32, that will get us the exact Windows version so we can try to recreate that.  

As for the desktop OpenGL solution, we have recently been getting more requests for OpenGL on Windows.  In the past we had not gotten very many asks for OpenGL support on windows.  I'll bring it up with the product owner and see what we can do. :)

We just released support for desktop GL targets on Ubuntu with 2015 R2.  GPA should be able to analyze your application with an Ubuntu host and target.  If you have a Linux box available, I would give it a go.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Callum, 

Sorry you are having issues getting the application to attach.  Just so I understand your issue a little better, are you developing an android application with the OpenGL ES functionality that JOGL has to offer?  Or are you developing a desktop OpenGL application?

If you are developing an Android app, can you see your application in System Analyzer after you have successfully connected the device using adb?

Also,  if you could post your Graphics Monitor -> About text here, it will give me a readout of your system information. (click on the GPA icon in the task tray)

Cheers!

Seth

0 Kudos
Callum_S_
Beginner

Hi, we are developing both an android and desktop OpenGL version of the application. However it is only the desktop version I'm having trouble getting it to work with. I can get the application to run in the Graphics Monitor's Analyze Application window when I click run but it doesn't seem to attach to it, and neither does it show up in the System Analyzer while it is running.

Graphics Monitor: About:

DEP enabled
Num Processors: 8
Memory: 8110MB
System BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. E16H2IMS.103 (03/21/2014)
Driver 0:
 Device: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
 Provider: Intel Corporation
 Date: 6-8-2015
 Version: 10.18.15.4235
 VendorId: 8086
 ProductId: 416
 Stepping: 6
 Supports GPA Instrumentation
Install directory: D:\Program Files\Intel\INDE\GPA\2015 R2\
Version: 15.2.247704
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current Graphics Performance Analyzers 2015 R2 (15.2.247704)
Secure Boot/Trusted Boot is Enabled

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Callum,  

glad to hear the android target is working for you.  Let's see what we can do about the desktop version. 

Usually the top line of the help shows which OS your host system has.   What OS is your host system? Are you using the same host and target for the desktop version of your app?

We currently do not support desktop GL targets on windows machines, but we do support desktop GL targets on Ubuntu(linux) machines.

0 Kudos
Callum_S_
Beginner

It's weird that it doesn't show it in the about but the OS I'm using for both the host and target is a windows machine. That must be why it's not working then, is there a timeframe on when windows support will be available or would you recommend me getting a Linux boot to build and test to?

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Ya it is weird.  It might be a bug, I'll have the development team look into it.  If it's not too much trouble, could you copy the first two lines of your msinfo32, that will get us the exact Windows version so we can try to recreate that.  

As for the desktop OpenGL solution, we have recently been getting more requests for OpenGL on Windows.  In the past we had not gotten very many asks for OpenGL support on windows.  I'll bring it up with the product owner and see what we can do. :)

We just released support for desktop GL targets on Ubuntu with 2015 R2.  GPA should be able to analyze your application with an Ubuntu host and target.  If you have a Linux box available, I would give it a go.  

0 Kudos
Callum_S_
Beginner

Sure. It's probably because as of right now I'm on my dual boot of windows 10 preview.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
Version 10.0.10166 Build 10166

Thanks. I'll do that.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Ah that makes sense.   We will be "officially" supporting Win 10 in our R3 release. Thank you for the info! 

Let me know if you have any issues with the linux setup. I'd be happy to help if you have any questions. 

0 Kudos