Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Media metrics all 0 with Windows 8.1

Steven_S_
Beginner

Hi, We have a board with I7-4770R so it has 5200 GPU. Running Windows 8.1 64bit with 15.33.18.64.3496 driver and GPA 14.R2. The problem we got is as we run the System Analyzer, there’s no reading for EU Engine Usage or GPU overall Usage, I mean the green line always stay at the bottom 0%. But with other 4600 GPU processors we can get at least 20% for GPU Usage. I read the release note, it says the latest GPA can support 5200 GPU, can you confirm this for me again? Thanks. Regards, Xiaole

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Sorry that you are running into this problem. Intel GPA does support your graphics device, but with some restrictions (see the Intel GPA release notes for configurations that are supported).

First, which version of Windows 8.1 are you running? I can't tell for sure from the information you provided, but Intel GPA does NOT support Windows server editions or Windows RT.

Also, in this thread you indicated that you have the 3496 driver, but the image you attached shows the older 3282 driver. Browse to the Intel drivers download page (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect) to update to the latest driver.

Do you know if the issue occurs with both Intel GPA System Analyzer and Intel GPA System Analyzer HUD? And does the issue (metrics always = 0) also occur when running the sample program, gpasample.exe? And does Intel GPA show non-zero values for all CPU or GPU metrics, or only some metrics?

So please check the items I've listed above and let me know what you find out.

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Steven_S_
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Thanks for your reply.

We are using Win8.1 professional version build 9600 not server or RT version.

The picture we provided is captured in previous tests, then we updated driver but didn’t capture a picture. So the latest driver is tested.

I haven’t tested it with GPA System Analyzer HUD, and couldn’t find it in the GPA folder. How can I turn on GPA system Analyzer HUD? We always can get non-zero values for all CPU, GPU Overall Usage, EU Engine Usage and MFX Engine Usage are all zero.

I will test it with a sample program again and update you the results later.

Best Regards,

Xiaole

0 Kudos
Steven_S_
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Same issue as running the sample, please see my latest attachment debug2.png. 

Thanks,

Xiaole

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

Steven S. welcome to the club!

I have been reporting similar issues with zero media metrics since a last year(!) post, and those issues after many updates of both Intel drivers and Intel's GPA still exist.

Look here:https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/496318

It's been five months and nothing changed (!)

I'm starting to believe that Intel doesn't care about Windows 8.1 users or doesn't have the resources (human resources) to solve the problem (or both)

This is embarrassing for such a big company whatever the reason...

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello Xiaole,

In looking at the additional information you've provided, your issue appears to be the same problem as has been noted previously -- Intel GPA is unable to display media metrics on Windows 8.1 systems.

I'm assuming that the other systems you have that appear to work are either Windows 7 or Windows 8 systems, and therefore media metrics can be displayed successfully. Please confirm what OS your other systems are running.

However, I'll do some checking on the status of this issue, and let you know what I find out.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello Xiaole,

Just a quick question -- what are you trying to measure with the Intel GPA product?

The images you've provided indicate that you are using "system view" with the Intel GPA System Analyzer tool, which has a different set of metrics available than when you use the tool to display metrics for a single game/application. If you are interested in metrics for a specific application, start that application, then start the Intel GPA System Analyzer, then select that application rather than "system view". When analyzing a single application different metrics are available, including some GPU and EU metrics (such as GPU Busy), and these should work OK on any OS (including Windows 8.1), but any metrics under the "media" heading will still show 0 values.

I hope this helps until such time as we have a complete fix for media metrics for Windows 8.1.

Regards,

Neal

PS-> The full set of metrics available for Intel GPA tools is available via this link. In particular, note the columns labelled "S" and "S(V)" show different metrics

0 Kudos
Steven_S_
Beginner

Hi Neal,

The other system we tested for 4600 GPU is Windows 7.

We want to use GPA to monitor the GPU usage as our video decode software is running. So we will try your suggestion and get the feedback to you asap.

Thanks,

Xiaole

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

That's what I expected -- your other system is Windows 7, which is why metrics data shows up OK.

Also, it's good to hear that your main concern is GPU usage, and that you can try the workaround I suggested (that is, analyze a specific application rather than using 'system view'). I look forward to hearing back on the results of your experiment.

Thanks again for using Intel GPA!

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Steven_S_
Beginner

Hi Neal,

So we are going to use Win7 for our test, and wait for GPA update, thanks for your help.

By the way, we just got a Z97 platform and put I7-4770 on it, GPA test also failed 0% usage again. I think this is caused because GPA cannot support Z97 chipset yet, am I correct? Do you have any GPA roadmap information can share with us, for example when will it support Broadwell platform or Win8.1?

Thanks,

Xiaole

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Sorry that this new platform is giving you problems as well. For your Z97 system, please right-click the Intel GPA Monitor icon in the notification tray and copy the "About..." configuration information (or send it via private message). Also, what test program were you using, and was it all metrics are bad or just some of them, and were you running Intel GPA System Analyzer in 'system view' mode or were you analyzing a single app?

As to Broadwell, I cannot comment on this platform.

For the fix for Windows 8.1 with media metrics, I'm still checking with the development team on this.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Steven_S_
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Have you got the bug fix schedule for WIn8.1 from development team?

By the way, are you familiar with Meida SDK? We want to specify the frame rate as we need for encode/decode in Media SDK, is there a sample code or command to achieve such feature, and we can use easily? I posted this question in Media SDK forum but haven't got any feedback yet, so just want to see any luck can get the answer from you. 

Thanks for all your effective support.

Best Regards,

Xiaole

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

no bug fix date yet -- still not clear where the bug is, and hard to fix without handle on where the problem lies (OS, driver, etyc.).

for media question, I'll ask someone about this.

regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Steven_S_
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Thanks for your feedback. 

The media SDK issue has been answered by your colleague.

Thank you very much again.

Best Regards,

XIaole

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Intel has been working with various teams both inside and outside of Intel, and we now believe that we have a fix for media metrics being 0 for all Intel platforms running the Windows* 8.1 OS. Our intent is to release this fix in a future version of the Intel GPA product, and we will post information about its release in the Intel GPA Support Forum.

Unfortunately, the only workaround at this time is to use Intel GPA with Windows* 8, which does not exhibit this issue. We realize that this is not an option for some customers, and appreciate your patience until a fix is released.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos