Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Pick GPU in System Analyzer

Maximillia_D_Intel

If I have a system with an integrated and discrete Intel GPU, how to I tell System Analyzer to monitor them? It seems to pick one (integrated) with no option to monitor the other.

I'm running OpenCL so have the ability to control where the compute executes.

System info: System Analyzer 2020 R3, 20.3.1601968646.

Windows 10 Version 2004 (Build 19041.630)

Architecture x84, 9 cores.

GPU Info: Intel UHD Graphics for GPU#1, Intel Iris Xe Graphics for GPU#2

Visual Studio 2019.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums.

We will look into this and get back to you soon.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Could you confirm whether you are using System analyzer with Vtune?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Maximillia_D_Intel

I have Vtune on the system, but I'm using System Analyzer independent of it as fair as I can tell.

I have used Vtune and the new GPU analysis tools, but that is a separate activity from what I can tell.

I guess I have the same question for Vtune as well as it doesn't seem to have an obvious method to me for selecting which GPU, integrated or discrete to profile.

Thanks,

Max

0 Kudos
JyotsnaK_Intel

We are moving it to the right forum to get help in this query. Thanks!

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Graphics-Performance/Pick-GPU-in-System-Analyzer/m-p/1229165#M2065

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Hey Max,

Small world - we meet again. I am the GPA TCE now.

For VTune you should open a separate ticket (I think where you originally filed this): https://community.intel.com/t5/Analyzers/bd-p/analyzers

As for GPUs being detected with GPA, that should be automatic, unless you have a GPU disabled.

When you have System Analyzer open, please click the i button (i in a square) at the top right of the tool. Click the copy button and paste it here or send it to me. It will show what GPUs were detected. Or . . . is that where you got the system info you included in your original message?

Pamela

0 Kudos
Maximillia_D_Intel

Hi Pamela,

Small world indeed. I just returned from vacation and took a few steps in my build so not at the point of running system analyzer just yet. I will get back to it hopefully next week. 

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Max,

So . . . GPA detected both GPUs? But you want to analyze the 2 GPUs simultaneously? We will support multi-GPUs in our next release. That feature is not yet available. 

Pamela

0 Kudos
Maximillia_D_Intel

Hi - I clicked the link and the info screen is showing two GPUs:

GPU #1 Information

Name : Intel(R) UHD Graphics

Vendor id: 0x8086

Product id: 0x4905

Stepping: 1

Driver Version 27.20.100.8725

Driver Date: 8-26-2020

GPU #2 Information:

Name: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

Vendor id: 0x8086

Product id: 0x9A49

Stepping: 1

Driver Version: 27.20.100.9026

Driver Date: 11-12-2020

In my opinion, there should be a menu option to select which GPU to monitor. Long term, it'd be good to see them both (which you mentioned your team is planning).

Is there a command line at startup where the specific GPU could be selected? The General settings button has no options to configure GPU.

Thanks,

Max

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Yes, that's coming. It's not available yet.

I assume you are using the GPA GUI tools - Graphics Monitor/System Analyzer/Trace Analyzer/Frame Analyzer . . . and not GPA Framework? In Framework you would use command line. Though in Graphics Monitor there is some semblance of command line, to say, specify whether you want to invoke an app with Vulkan vs. DX12. I'm not sure yet whether we will be able to specify the GPU there.

0 Kudos
Maximillia_D_Intel

Thanks. Yes, I'm using System Analyzer and the GUI for it.

I understand there is no way to select or specify the GPU to monitor.

Could there perhaps be a workaround? How does System Analyzer determine what to use? Is there a registry setting or a Windows OS setting that could be changed that System Analzyer uses?

Surely, there must be some logic based upon the actual user configuration and hopefully it's a bit more than 'pick the lowest GPU number in your system info and ignore all others.' Why list the other GPUs if it can't do anything about it?

Max

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Oh my gosh. I just found out there is a secret button that will allow you to choose your playback GPU in Frame Analyzer . . .

So, Graphics Monitor does not have a capture option. It will capture everything that it is able to . . . meaning all the Intel GPU metrics as well as any non-Intel metrics that it is aware of and able to capture.

THEN, for playback in Frame Analyzer, click the GPU name in top left corner that doesn't look like a button, and it should show the list of your GPUs for which data was captured/capturable. You can then select the one you want to play back.

GPU-List.PNG

Also, if you want to use GPA Framework, there is a device override layer. Let me know if you want more info about this.

0 Kudos
Maximillia_D_Intel

Thanks. Is there something similar in Graphics Grace Analyzer?

I see that it has info for 3D for both integrated and discrete.  However, it only seems to have EU Active, EU Stall, GPU Frequency for one of them.

I'm trying to analyze frequency throttling when both the integrated and discrete are working together in a program that uses compute APIs like OpenCL and DX12 Compute, thus I don't believe Frame Analyzer is the right tool for it.

Thanks,

Max

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Hmm . . .  on a properly configured machine with the right drivers, metrics for both GPUs should be available in GPA monitor. Try running and connecting System Analyzer to your application and try to subscribe to metrics there and then capture a trace. 

0 Kudos