Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas
492 Discussions

media metrics all 0 on Windows 8.1 (ok w/ Windows 8)

diamantis__nikos

Hello.

I've recently installed your latest Intel GPA monitor tool 2013 R4 on my PC.

The platform is: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 - Pentium G3420 - iGPU GT1 (Haswell) - Driver version latest 3345 - No discrete card.

In the "About" menu of Intel GPA Monitor 2013 R4, it recognizes my Intel HD graphics and OS and says "Supports GPA Instrumentation"

But when I try to use the HUD with Media Performance metrics, like "MFX decode usage", or "VPP DXVA2" etc, none of them shows a value during HW accelerated video playback. Only the built-in FPS counter of HUD works.

I get the same null values for Media metrics when I use System Analyzer, too

Also my system often freezes and hangs-up after the use of GPA Monitor (random freeze which leads to hard-reset button in order to start-up)

Is my Pentium G3420 and my Intel HD graphics (4th generation graphics - Haswell GT1) supported by your latest GPA Monitor 2013 R4 ?

Why the HUD media performance metrics are not shown during video playback while using QuickSync hardware ?

Waiting for your feedback.

Regards,

Nikos

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Eugene_Y_
Beginner

We ran into the same problem on Windows 8.1. Do you have any update at this point?

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Unfortunately I have no further information as to when a fix will become available.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

Finally the new GPA 2014 R3 solves some of the problems of MSDK metrics reporting on Windows 8.1

From the release notes:

System Analyzer

• Intel® Media SDK metrics are now supported on Windows 8.1.

I downloaded and tested the x64 version of GPA using x64 apps with latest official drivers 3907 installed on Core i7-4790 system (Win 8.1 Pro x64)

The results:

1) System Analyzer works fine, although sometimes doesn't catch MFX decode usage and you have to close and reopen System Analyzer

2) Only a few Media metrics in this version of GPA. Definitely fewer than previous versions of GPA (but they work this time)

3) The Analyze Application option works only with Full Screen. No window mode.

4) It works only with EVR-CP, not EVR renderer.

5) It still has a low fps limit to 100fps (there are clips at 120fps)

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

New GPA 2014 R4

Unfortunately, nothing really changed regarding GPA 2014 R4 vs GPA 2014 R3

Using latest official drivers v4080 installed on a Core i7-4790 system (Win 8.1 Pro x64)

The results:

1) System Analyzer works fine, although sometimes doesn't catch MFX decode usage and you have to close and reopen System Analyzer

2) Only a few Media metrics in this version of GPA. Definitely fewer than previous versions of GPA.

3) The Analyze Application option works only with Full Screen. No window mode.

4) It works only with EVR-CP, not plain EVR renderer.

5) It still has a low fps limit to 100fps (there are clips at 120fps)

0 Kudos