Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

DSP Double Pumping

Following an old question (https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004MInzpSAD/double-pumping-dsp-units-ip) is there any way to allow double pumping of DSPs in Stratix 10 and to exploit this directly in OpenCL?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor II

The OpenCL compiler does not support DSP double-pumping and in fact, even Block RAM double-pumping that was supported for older FPGAs (Stratix V and Arria 10) has been disabled for Stratix 10. Even though this would be a very useful feature since kernels on Stratix 10 tend to run at far lower frequencies than the promised 800-900 MHz, seeing how even the existing Block RAM double-pumping was disabled for Stratix 10, I would not expect DSP double-pumping to ever be supported. The option to implement DSP double-pumping manually in RTL and using it as an RTL blackbox in OpenCL theoretically exists, but it won't be easy to implement and I am not sure if the OpenCL compiler provides a 2x clock on Stratix 10 anymore (or at all).

Highlighted

Let me get engineering to look into this for S10. Since feature can increase the Fmax.

Highlighted

Double pumping does work on S10. You can apply the attribute doublepump to request double pumping for a given array.  Will request to have it on dsp for the future. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks!

In your opinion, would it be possible to implement it as RTL block? Does OpenCL compiler/designs provide everything that I would need for that?

I could not find any useful documentation for this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks, but my question was related to DSP Double Pumping, not to BRAM Double Pumping. The Intel documentation mention only the latter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

As of now, we do not have DSP double pumping, I had make a request for the engineering to have it in the future. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor II

@KennyT_Intel​ This is not true, Section 10.3 of the documentation (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/mwh1391807516407.html#jhl15202734...) clearly states that no 2x clock is provided in the design by the compiler for Stratix 10 and hence, Block RAM double-pumping is not available on Stratix 10. This also means that any type of double-pumping cannot be implemented by the user in RTL either since there is no 2x clock in the system generated by the compiler.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for pointing out, the attribute doublepump for Startix 10 should be working. The compiler may not infer double-pumping my default, but the attribute should always be able to override that. 

Will have this documentation corrected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor II

Interesting; I just tested Block RAM double-pumping on Stratix 10 and indeed it seems to work. All this time I was thinking it won't work because the documentation said so. Having DSP double-pumping on top of that will be extremely valuable and a huge advantage over the main competitor's HLS compiler (among numerous other advantages that Intel's HLS compiler has). In fact, on Stratix 10 there is probably room to even do triple-pumping, considering how high the peak operating frequency of the Block RAMs and the DSPs is compared to typical kernel frequency.

0 Kudos