Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
679 Discussions

HLS Compiler 24.1 error - aocl-clang.exe - dll entry point not found

NoahHuguenin
Novice

Good day,

I recently installed HLS Compiler 24.1 together with Quartus Prime Lite 23.1std in order to do the first HLS tests. 

I installed Visual Studio 2017 Community and the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables (2015-2022).

My OS is Windows 10 Home 10.0.19045 

Trying to test an HLS example, I enter the Visual Studio console by launching the init_hls.bat file in C:\intelFPGA_lite\23.1std\hls.

It seems to detect every dependency.

NoahHuguenin_0-1719930959041.png

Launching the build.bat of an example in test-x86-64 mode returns the following error, translated below the image: 

NoahHuguenin_1-1719931087434.png

"The procedure entry point [...] could not be located in the dynamic link library [...]."

This also happens for mathlib.dll, generationlib.dll and mip_common.dll. 

I tried deleting and reinstalling HLS Compiler and deleting and reinstalling MVC++ Redistributables

I also tried launchig build.bat in test-FPGA mode, changing the board from Arria10 to CycloneV, which returns the same error. 

Below are linked two threads that inquire about similar errors, but the original poster did not share if and how it was finally resolved.

aocl-clang.exe - Entry Point Not Found - Intel Community

HLS i++ compile failure for Quartus Prime 21.1.1 Lite - Intel Community

Any suggestions on how to proceed? 

Thank you in advance, 

Noah

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NoahHuguenin
Novice

Updated to Windows 10 Home version 22H2, the error persists

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @NoahHuguenin,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum, hope all is well and apologies for the delayed in response.

Noted on the details of the error, a quick check on the installation path, did you managed to combine the installation path for Quartus Prime Lite and Intel HLS compiler together?

Could you possible share a screenshot of the path?

Also are you able to launch quartus lite and try to create a new project with CycloneV just to test on the quartus installation?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
whitepau
Employee

I wonder if there are some permission limitations with building in the 'examples' directory.

When I try to compile the counter design on my machine, it runs fine if I first copy the 'counter' directory out of C:\intelFPGA_lite\23.1std\hls\examples, and somewhere else (e.g. C:\hls_customers\forum\counter).

I've also heard of issues with mixing versions of visual studio, e.g. if you already have 2022 installed, and then try to install 2017. The recommended solution there was to remove all visual studio installations, and install the oldest one first. (e.g. first 2017, then 2022).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/previous-versions/visualstudio/visual-studio-2015/install/install-visual-studio-versions-side-by-side?view=vs-2015&redirectedfrom=MSDN

Why are you installing the visual C++ redistributables? The necessary libraries should be included with visual studio:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683680/24-1/pro-edition-prerequisites.html 

0 Kudos
NoahHuguenin
Novice

Hello and thank you for your answers.

Checking the Quartus project creation as @BoonBengT_Intel suggested, Quartus would freeze everytime a project is created.

This was fixed, as inspired by @whitepau 's suspicion, by unchecking the "Read Only" attribute from the intelFPGA_Lite folder.

However, the error in HLS example remains even when copying the example to a different folder. 

Perhaps it is not due to permissions, since the error seems to occur when readign the .dll files anyways. 

To answer your other questions: 

@BoonBengT_Intel 

C:\intelFPGA_lite\23.1std\hls is the installation path of HLS within the Quartus Lite folder. Below is a screenshot of the folder.

NoahHuguenin_0-1720452301310.png

I assumed the combiled installation worked correctly, since running init_hls.bat seems to indicate that all dependencies (including Quartus) are found correctly.

@whitepau 

As for Microsoft Visual Studio, I only have the 2017 version. I didn't know the redistributables were already included! 

0 Kudos
whitepau
Employee

You should have everything you need by installing visual studio 2017 along with the C++ support. Make sure everything is updated (here is the working configuration I have):

whitepau_0-1720512931995.png

0 Kudos
NoahHuguenin
Novice

I checked the Visual Studio installation and everything seems to be updated. 

Just in case, I let the Visual Studio installer add the C++ redistributables instead of installing them separately, but the error in HLS compilation remains the same

0 Kudos