Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
663 Discussions

High Level Synthesis (HLS) Counter Example HLS Generate testbench QSYS system FAILED

anil007
Novice

I have a Windows 10 machine. I installed Quartus Prime Lite 21.1.1 and HLS Pro 22.2. I know that I only have access to CycloneV

To test HLS, I tried the counter example and followed the steps in Section 2.2 of the Getting Started Guide . When I execute "build.bat test-x86-64", everything is fine. After modifying the build.bat file so that -march=CycloneV instead of -march=Arria10, I tried "build.bat test-fpga" and get the following output:

i++ -march=CycloneV counter.cpp -o test-fpga.exe
HLS Generate testbench QSYS system FAILED.
See c:/Users/bente/Desktop/counter/test-fpga.prj/debug.log for details.
Run test-fpga.exe to execute the test.

I also tried it with some other easy multiplication example and after I enter the command "i++ -march=CycloneV mult.cpp -o mult.exe", I get the same error.

Is there anybody who knows what this error means? Also, I attach debug.log file in the hopes that it may be of some help.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
anil007
Novice

Hello again.

I couldn't work on this job for a while. After trying your recommendations, I realized that I cannot create a regular Quartus project because my machine does not run Quartus well as it is too old. When I tried the same procedure on a newer machine I was able to make HLS work.

Thanks a lot for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @anil007,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum, hope all is well and apologies for the delayed in response.

My guess is the error seems to be complaining about some missing connection in the qsys design.

Please do check if you did installed the CycloneV device when installing quartus.

Just to clarify does the Arria10 compilation able to complete?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
anil007
Novice

Hello,

I have a dedicated directory named Altera and I have all the installation files in that directory. The files in that directory are

• cyclonev-21.1.1.850.qdz
  • HLSProSetup-22.2.0.94-windows.exe
  • QuartusLiteSetup-21.1.1.850-windows.exe
  • QuartusProgrammerSetup-21.1.1.850-windows.exe
  • QuestaSetup-21.1.1.850-windows.exe

I ran QuartusLiteSetup-21.1.1.850-windows.exe installed everything except for hls by choosing the installtion step. I couldn't install HLS because it didn't show up during the installation. Then I installed HLS after the installation of Quartus is done. Now that you asked me to check if CycloneV is installed, I tried to ran QuartusLiteSetup exe file and by choosing upgrade I checked that CycloneV is installed.

As I have Quartus Prime Lite, I don't have access to Arria10 devices so I didn't even downloaded them.  When I try it, I get "Arria10 is not supported in Quartus Standard Edition" error. When I check the fpga download center Quartus Prime Lite 21.1 individual files page, I couldn't see Arria10 qdz file. Would you like me to download Arria10 qdz file from other versions of Quartus Prime and try to install it and try hls with Arria10 after installing it?

Thanks for answering,

Anıl

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @anil007,

Noted and thanks for the details explanation, I have tried the same on my windows machine with the setup mention and are able to compile with the mention example design and generate the cosimulation for HDL execution.

On 5 files mention I have just installed the 'QuartusLiteSetup-21.1.1.850-windows.exe', followed by the cyclone device with 'cyclonev-21.1.1.850.qdz' and finally the HLSProSetup-22.2.0.94-windows.exe. (the questa and programmer comes with the quartus lite installation)

Would suggest to check on a few things as below:

- Open the Quartus lite and try to create a empty project with cycloneV as the device.

- Running the init_hls.bat to check on the setup

- If all failed, would suggest to reinstalled the quartus and HLS with on the 3 files mention

Hope that clarify

Regards

BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @anil007,

Greetings, just checking in to see if there is any further doubts in regards to this matter.

Hope we have clarify your doubts.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @anil007,

Greetings, as we do not receive any further clarification/updates on the matter, hence would assume challenge are overcome, and will no longer monitor this thread. For new queries, please feel free to open a new thread and we will be right with you. Pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
anil007
Novice

Hello again.

I couldn't work on this job for a while. After trying your recommendations, I realized that I cannot create a regular Quartus project because my machine does not run Quartus well as it is too old. When I tried the same procedure on a newer machine I was able to make HLS work.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos