Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
502 Discussions

OpenCL runtime error -42 (CL_INVALID_BINARY) trying to instantiate cl::Program object.

okramer
New Contributor I

I created a simple OpenCL application with a trivial FPGA kernel to verify the build/run process, but am getting a -42 error code returned from the cl::Program constructor. Here's a snippet of the host:

// Read kernel binary (compiled with "aoc -v -board=a10gx_hostpipe pipes.cl"): std::ifstream aocx_stream("pipes.aocx", std::ios::in|std::ios::binary); checkErr(aocx_stream.is_open() ? CL_SUCCESS:-1, "Opening pipes.aocx"); std::string progBuf(std::istreambuf_iterator<char>(aocx_stream), (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>())); cl::Program::Binaries binaries; binaries.push_back(std::make_pair((const void*)progBuf.c_str(), progBuf.length()));   // Create the Program from the AOCX binary: cl::Program program(context, DeviceList, binaries, NULL, &err); // RETURNS err=-42 checkErr(err, "Program Constructor"); // THROWS EXCEPTION  

When I use the emulation platform/device with the aocx binary compiled for that target, the code above works. But when I try it using the h/w platform/device, it fails with -42. I compiled pipes.cl with the command:

aoc -v -board=a10gx_hostpipe pipes.cl

I was successful programming the device from the command line with

$ aocl program acl0 ./pipes.aocx aocl program: Running program from /home/okramer/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/hld/board/a10_ref/linux64/libexec Programming device: a10gx : Arria 10 Reference Platform (acla10_ref0) MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] Quartus versions for base and import compile do not match MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] Board is currently programmed with sof from Quartus 19.3.0 171 MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] PR import was compiled with Quartus 19.3.0 222 MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] Reprogram the device with data saving and restoring MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] Trying Partial Reconfiguration MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] Quartus versions for base and import compile do not match MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] Board is currently programmed with sof from Quartus 19.3.0 171 MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] PR import was compiled with Quartus 19.3.0 222 MMD INFO : [acla10_ref0] Trying Full-Chip Reconfiguration (JTAG) MMD INFO : JTAG Autodetect device found Cable:1 , Device Index:1 MMD INFO : setting Cable to autodetect value 1 MMD INFO : setting Device Index to autodetect value 1 MMD INFO : executing "quartus_pgm -c 1 -m jtag -o "P;reprogram_temp.sof@1"" Info: ******************************************************************* Info: Running Quartus Prime Programmer Info: Version 19.3.0 Build 222 09/23/2019 SC Pro Edition Info: Copyright (C) 2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Info: Your use of Intel Corporation's design tools, logic functions Info: and other software and tools, and any partner logic Info: functions, and any output files from any of the foregoing Info: (including device programming or simulation files), and any Info: associated documentation or information are expressly subject Info: to the terms and conditions of the Intel Program License Info: Subscription Agreement, the Intel Quartus Prime License Agreement, Info: the Intel FPGA IP License Agreement, or other applicable license Info: agreement, including, without limitation, that your use is for Info: the sole purpose of programming logic devices manufactured by Info: Intel and sold by Intel or its authorized distributors. Please Info: refer to the applicable agreement for further details, at Info: https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/eula. Info: Processing started: Thu Jan 9 17:22:26 2020 Info: System process ID: 15973 Info: Command: quartus_pgm -c 1 -m jtag -o P;reprogram_temp.sof@1 Info (213045): Using programming cable "USB-BlasterII [1-5]" Info (213011): Using programming file reprogram_temp.sof with checksum 0x30EEE395 for device 10AX115S2F45@1 Info (209060): Started Programmer operation at Thu Jan 9 17:22:31 2020 Info (209016): Configuring device index 1 Info (209017): Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x02E660DD Info (209007): Configuration succeeded -- 1 device(s) configured Info (209011): Successfully performed operation(s) Info (209061): Ended Programmer operation at Thu Jan 9 17:22:46 2020 Info: Quartus Prime Programmer was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings Info: Peak virtual memory: 2527 megabytes Info: Processing ended: Thu Jan 9 17:22:46 2020 Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:20 Info: System process ID: 15973 Program succeed.

I asked a related question as a follow-up to previous posting here: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006e8m7SAA. I'm not sure it's relevant.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
okramer
New Contributor I

UPDATE: After doing the command line programming above, the OpenCL app doesn't complain at the cl::Program instantiation anymore. The app is now working. Magic.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
okramer
New Contributor I

UPDATE: After doing the command line programming above, the OpenCL app doesn't complain at the cl::Program instantiation anymore. The app is now working. Magic.

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It might be due to the board is not match then the binary generated for the FPGA is not the correct one.

Thanks