Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
1095 Discussions

Can MPI based application be run on SDE ?

jnzhoun
Beginner

I am currently trying to run MPI application on SDE, and it's could successfully run but without the application related block information, just some glibc and system level statistics.

anyone has some experience to share ?

thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkC_Intel

Hi, Sounds like you are using "sde -mix"? If so, for MPI you probably want to include the "-i" knob so that the each process's mix.out file gets a different file name -- the process id is appended to the file name. Like this: "path-to-kit/sde -mix -i -- yourapp". Then you'll get a mix.out.#### for each process. Hopefully you'll be able to recognize the interesting processes from the activity logged.

I've also seen instances with OpenMP where the test application execution counts were so small relative to the overheads of the runtime. We had to scale up the size of the "interesting computation" to see it in the "top blocks" output.

Let me know if this helps or not!

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Perhaps you are collecting SDE statistics on MPI rather than the application. Usually you want the latter, e.g.

mpiexec -n 4 sde yourapp .....

so as to run a copy of sde to collect from each copy of yourapp.

0 Kudos
jnzhoun
Beginner

Thanks, Yes I am running-mix. it actually works by using "-i" option with lots of mix.out.xxx file. also I found if I use "several" MPI proecesses once (e.g. mpirun -np 8), it can't work. just use mpirun -np 1 xxx.

anyway I got what I want, thanks.

0 Kudos