Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Detecting Core

knujohn4
New Contributor I
Is it possible for a pice of code to detect in which core it is running? I am starting to do some multicore programming and would try a small looping program to just display something like, "Hello from Core 1" etc. etc.

Knut
0 Kudos
2 Replies
matthieu_darbois
New Contributor III
Hi,

have a look at this article : Intel 64 Architecture Processor Topology Enumeration
It allows to enumerate the CPU topology including counting packages/dies/cores/Hyper-threading.
With this, you can identify your thread using core APICID.
Unless you bound your thread to a core, it's likely that the OS will let it jump between coresand thus, when launching n thread with a hello wolrd sample, you'll end up with n "Hello from Core 1".

If you don't wan't to go through the article and don't need all topology, you can add at the beginning of your application a loop that goes through each core (using thread affinity) and get the APICID of these cores in a LUT for later use in the program.

Regards,
Matthieu
knujohn4
New Contributor I
Thank you, I will look into this.
Knut