Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646

Instruction decoder

rediclo
Beginner
I'm working at the moment with decoding instructions for a given executable (windows or linux) or a part of memory. It can be described as a simple disassembler. Your manuals on Pentium processors are great help but I miss some of the most basic aspects of the processor architecture. (currently I've been using Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual Volume 1, Basic Architecture and Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual Volume 2A, Instruction Set Reference)

I would like to ask you about detailed information on instruction decoding the way processor does it. I know all about several fields of an instruction and how they interact with each other. However, I would like to know how the processor does the job by itself (I'm sure it must be an efficent algorithm somehow depend on certain bits of the instruction). For example: Its easy to get the prefix and the opcode itself, but its not as clear with the ModR/M byte. In your manual we can read that opcode defines the existance of ModR/M byte. I know that similar behavior is about ModR/M and SIB (if we have MRM we can calculate whether SIB exists or not). Thats the point of my question - is there a way to guess if there is a ModR/M byte following the opcode without using pre-defined table of opcodes that uses it or not? Same think about displacement and immediate - I know when those fields are used but how can it be done most efficently? (as the decoding unit does it itself, I guess) Please provide me with this information along with detailed description of algorithm used by the decoding unit (if possible). Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
capens__nicolas
New Contributor I

I've done something like that several years ago: x86 Decoder. I literally took a piece of squared paper, and in a 16x16 matrix representing each opcode I colored each square for opcodes that require a specific decoding. This revealed patterns that make it relatively easy to use binary logic to determine the decoding format of each instruction.

I believe my code is smaller than using tables, but not entirely optimal yet. Also, when translated to hardware each of the tests really just looks at a few bits so it could be quite compact.

rediclo
Beginner
Thank you for this answer, I must say that this is a very interesting piece of code and I will have a closer look. However, is there any resource telling how is it done by the processor itself? (unless it is an intel company secret).
capens__nicolas
New Contributor I
Quoting - rediclo
However, is there any resource telling how is it done by the processor itself? (unless it is an intel company secret).

Here's a document that reveals some details: An Asynchronous Instruction Length Decoder. There's also tons of information in patents if you really want to get to the bottom of it...

But since you mentioned working on a disassembler you might also be interested in this: Efficient Software Decoder Design.