Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
1095 Discussions

Intel SDE uses an outrageous amount of RAM

reddaz
Beginner

Some games i play/want to download uses AVX instructions, i wanted to try SDE emulation before selling stuff to get a new cpu + motherboard, but i can even do the test since SDE is completely unusable even on simple software, any 5-25 mb app takes 1 gb, any 50-80 mb app takes 2/2.2 gb, and the app in question is sluggish. If i alt tab out of the application and i go back into it, it seems to eat up another 500/1gb MB for the app to be responsive again.
I couldnt find anyone with the same problem through google. Every pal that uses SDE for death stranding seems to be able to just run the game, with some compatible CPUs even taking less RAM if they launch their game through SDE.
i have Core2 Quad Q9400, HD 7770 and 6gb of ram 1333 (dual channel)
Both of these applications below were launched with SDE with no arguments, assuming that they got launched using my CPU

reddaz_2-1703453368392.png

reddaz_0-1703452806678.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AdyT_Intel

Intel SDE is designed to take advantage of the underline CPU. This means that when your system has an old CPU, more instructions needs to be simulated and therefore the application is running slower.

The amount of memory used by SDE during the application's run is highly dependent on the tasks and number of threads created during the run. Therefore, I see no easy workaround for it.

Please note that CPUs with AVX instruction sets are available in the market for more than 12 years, therefore it is a reasonable to assume that your system supports it.

0 Kudos