Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Intel 's Assembler

Anatoly_K_
Beginner

Hi,

Does Intel provide some [macro] assembler compiler? or, what compiler is better to integrate with System Studio? Or, more generally, what is best developer tool(s) to develop using i7 / i9  Intel AVX2 / AVX512 extensions?

I'm a novice here... sorry for trivial.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
zalia64
New Contributor I

Intel C compiler integrates with Visual Studio. It is called 'Intel Parallel Studio XE'

I use Intel C++ compiler 2013 with VS 2012. The Intel compiler replaces Microsoft compiler. I use inline assembly, that is: writing ASM routines inside my C++ routines.The integration is transparent.  

I think that if you use a more advanced Intel C compiler ( e.g. 2016 or 2017), you will have support of all the AVX2  and AVX512 instructions.

Yo may download a trial version of the Parallel studio XE from Intel site. The trial is valid for a full month. 

0 Kudos
Anatoly_K_
Beginner

Yes, already did. A few days, I use "Intel compiler" - 1st impression - more understandable error/warning messages. Microsoft C++ issuing absolutely stupid explanations in case of errors within __asm blocks 

0 Kudos
Anatoly_K_
Beginner

What about MACRO? It would be nice to have a macro assembly capability. __asm block is too limited power.

0 Kudos
MarkC_Intel

For a standalone assembler, I personally use nasm because it works on win/lin/mac. We added AVX512 support a while ago.  http://www.nasm.us/

0 Kudos
Anatoly_K_
Beginner

Thanks Mark, Is there some way to integrate Nasm in Visual Studio?

0 Kudos
MarkC_Intel

I'm sure there is, but that not my thing. Sorry. I'm a command line guy (and emacs user). I imagine a web search would turn up lots of useful suggestions for how to run external tools from Visual Studio. Like this: https://www.cs.uaf.edu/2011/fall/cs301/visual2010/

0 Kudos