Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

#SS on inter-privilege IRET

Konstantin_B_
Novice

I am talking about latest SDM rev. 63 there. In the description of the #SS exception 'Stack Fault', it is stated that the exception is raised when

· A not-present stack segment is detected when attempting to load the SS register. This violation can occur

during the execution of a task switch, a CALL instruction to a different privilege level, a return to a different

privilege level, an LSS instruction, or a MOV or POP instruction to the SS register.

Experiments on the real hardware demonstrate that this exception can occur if inter-privilege IRET is executed and popped an %ss segment register value which references a non-present descriptor.  Small issue is that the explanation above does not list IRET explicitely, but it arguably falls under the 'return to a different privilege level' enumerator.

Much more serious problem is that IRET instruction lists #NP (segment not present) in this situation:

#NP(selector) If the return code or stack segment is not present.

In particular, it seems that QEMU emulates #NP, following the documentation.

Of course I may be wrong with interpreting the experiment results, but it would be useful clarify either the IRET instruction specification, and/or #SS description.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Konstantin_B_
Novice

And the SDM was updated in rev. 064, thank you.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The SS register will hold either a segment number (Real Mode or V86 Mode) or a selector (Protected Mode). When in Real/V86 mode, the current  selector is used ( that on transition to V86 or power-up/0x0 for Real Mode), to which the segment number *10 is applied as an offset to the base of the memory referenced by the current SS selector. The Selector itself could be invalid, or the address resolved by the SS (selector) + Segment offset (Real/V86) or SIB reference off of SS: could potentially point to an unmapped page in memory, and fault.

I think the document is interchanging segment and selector when it ought not.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos