Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Can not build ipp-samples.7.1.1.013

hande_b_
Beginner

Hi everyone, i try to build code samples 7.1.1.013 from the guide

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/building-intel-ipp-71-samples#comment-1751314

I tried with lots of commands even example commands but it says invalid configuration everytime . What is the problem?

0 Kudos
37 Replies
Thongchai_K_
Beginner

cont.

I also already run ippvars or compilervars script, as suggested in http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-ipp-71-samples-build/.

Using the Intel® IPP 7.1 Sample Build System

A few initial steps are required:

• In Windows*, open a command shell window. In Linux*/OS X* open a terminal.
  • Make sure all environment variables are set by running the ippvars or compilervars script.

These are the exact commands I run them.
/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/bin/compilervars.sh ia32
/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/ipp/bin/ippvars.sh

But I still got the same error mentioned. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Anton_S_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Do you use PowerShell?
Please upload full log from command shell, including IPP examples build.cmd and compilervars.sh

0 Kudos
Thongchai_K_
Beginner

I am NOT using PowerShell. I am on OS X!!! I already posted the log and explained my problem and what OS am in in my previous answer. Please look at that.

Anton Sibilev (Intel) wrote:

Hello,

Do you use PowerShell?
Please upload full log from command shell, including IPP examples build.cmd and compilervars.sh

0 Kudos
Anton_S_Intel
Employee

Try to use path without spaces

"/Users/thongchai/Documents/Projects/Fingi/Fingi iOS resources/sip/ipp-samples.7.1.1.013/__cmake/speech-codecs.ia32.xcode.s.mt/resources/sip/ipp-samples.7.1.1.013/sources/speech-codecs"

Unknown argument iOS
Unknown argument resources/sip/ipp-samples.7.1.1.013/builder/../__cmake/speech-codecs.ia32.xcode.s.mt

0 Kudos
Thongchai_K_
Beginner

Thanks, the space was the problem. Now I get a new error. Intel(R) IPP was not found (required)!

I already run /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/ipp/bin/ippvars.sh intel64, to set the environment variables.

I also tried setting IPPROOT and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in .bash_profile. But it still doesn't find Intel IPP.

export IPPROOT=/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/ipp
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/ipp/../compiler/lib:/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/ipp/lib

Here is the erorr. I also tried to echo the environment variables at the end so you should see that they have a value but problem still occur. Any idea?

Hlung-Oozou:builder thongchai$ perl build.pl --cmake=speech-codecs,ia32,xcode,s,mt,debug --build --clean
Not searching for unused variables given on the command line.
-- The C compiler identification is Clang 4.2.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is Clang 4.2.0
-- Check for working C compiler using: Xcode
-- Check for working C compiler using: Xcode -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Xcode
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Xcode -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
CMake Error at /Users/thongchai/Documents/Projects/Fingi/Fingi-iOS-resources/sip/ipp-samples.7.1.1.013/builder/FindIPP.cmake:92 (message):
Intel(R) IPP was not found (required)!
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:6 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
2013-09-20 18:52:27.276 xcodebuild[86899:1207] XCode4_beginning_of_line initializing...
2013-09-20 18:52:27.277 xcodebuild[86899:1207] XCode4_beginning_of_line failed. :(
2013-09-20 18:52:27.314 xcodebuild[86899:1207] XcodeColors: load (v10.1)
2013-09-20 18:52:27.315 xcodebuild[86899:1207] XcodeColors: pluginDidLoad:
xcodebuild: error: 'speech-codecs.xcodeproj' does not exist.

[ speech-codecs.ia32.xcode.s.mt.debug State: FAIL ]

Hlung-Oozou:builder thongchai$ echo $IPPROOT
/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/ipp
Hlung-Oozou:builder thongchai$ echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/ipp/../compiler/lib:/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.001/ipp/lib

0 Kudos
Anton_S_Intel
Employee

The problem is that you are trying to build IPP samples for 7.1.1 with IPP 8.0 (Composer XE 2013 bundle)

Here is quote from IPP 8.0 Release Notes - Intel® IPP library "_l" and "_t" suffixes removed.
That's why cmake search can't find IPP. File builder/FindIPP.cmake should be updated, as workaround.
Can you please try to comment few lines? I've just tried and was able to build speech-codecs with single-threaded libraries..

# set( LIBS_IPP_SUF _l )
set( IPP_MT false )
set( OWN_MT false )
elseif( __THREADING MATCHES mt )
# set( LIBS_IPP_SUF _t )
#if(NOT IPP_INCLUDE MATCHES NOTFOUND)
# if(NOT IPP_LIBRARY MATCHES NOTFOUND)
set( IPP_FOUND TRUE )
include_directories( ${IPP_INCLUDE} )
link_directories( $ENV{IPPROOT}/lib/${LIBS_ARCH} )
link_directories( $ENV{IPPROOT}/../compiler/lib/${LIBS_ARCH} )
# endif( )
#endif( )
if(NOT DEFINED IPP_FOUND)
# message( FATAL_ERROR "Intel(R) IPP was not found (required)!")
else ( )
0 Kudos
Thongchai_K_
Beginner

ok, I will try that. But I found there's legacy examples for 8.0 here http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/code-samples-for-intel-integrated-performance-primitives-library Can I just use that one?

0 Kudos
Anton_S_Intel
Employee

Sure, you can use 8.0 legacy samples(speech-codecs are included), this case will be even better. Thank you.

0 Kudos
hande_b_
Beginner

thank you this was exactly the problem 

0 Kudos
Ryan_R_2
Beginner

Anton Sibilev (Intel) wrote:

The problem is that you are trying to build IPP samples for 7.1.1 with IPP 8.0 (Composer XE 2013 bundle)

Here is quote from IPP 8.0 Release Notes - Intel® IPP library "_l" and "_t" suffixes removed.
That's why cmake search can't find IPP. File builder/FindIPP.cmake should be updated, as workaround.
Can you please try to comment few lines? I've just tried and was able to build speech-codecs with single-threaded libraries..

# set( LIBS_IPP_SUF _l )
set( IPP_MT false )
set( OWN_MT false )
elseif( __THREADING MATCHES mt )
# set( LIBS_IPP_SUF _t )
#if(NOT IPP_INCLUDE MATCHES NOTFOUND)
# if(NOT IPP_LIBRARY MATCHES NOTFOUND)
set( IPP_FOUND TRUE )
include_directories( ${IPP_INCLUDE} )
link_directories( $ENV{IPPROOT}/lib/${LIBS_ARCH} )
link_directories( $ENV{IPPROOT}/../compiler/lib/${LIBS_ARCH} )
# endif( )
#endif( )
if(NOT DEFINED IPP_FOUND)
# message( FATAL_ERROR "Intel(R) IPP was not found (required)!")
else ( )

I can confirm that this fixes the issue.  After messing around for over a day trying to build these samples, this finally allowed me to build them without error. 

0 Kudos
Timo_B_
Beginner

Hello,

I try to install IPP Samples 8.0.0.005 into IPP composer xe 2013.

However, I have a similar error when trying to build them on my linux machine. When I

~/Downloads/ipp-samples.8.0.0.005/builder/sudo bash build.sh --sample=speech-codecs --arch=intel64 --ws=make --conf=release --build --clean

I get this Error:

CMake Error at .../builder/FindIPP.cmake:60 (message:)
Intel(R) IPP was not found (required)!

I have set all the environment variables to the correct location beforehand, by hand and by the compilervars script.

The weird thing is, when I execute the command without sudo, the script will find IPP and the libraries and shows the paths but it gives a permission denied error for CMake. How can I get around this?

Please help me out here Intel. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Timo,

You can see in "FindIPP.cmake" file that looking for IPP in example's CMake scripts is:

set(INTERNAL_IPP_INC $ENV{IPPROOT}/include)
set(INTERNAL_IPP_LIB $ENV{IPPROOT}/lib/${INTERNAL_ARCH})

and

find_path   (INTERNAL_IPP_INC_CORE ippcore.h  PATHS ${INTERNAL_IPP_INC})
find_library(INTERNAL_IPP_LIB_CORE ippcore${INTERNAL_IPP_LIB_SUF} PATHS ${INTERNAL_IPP_LIB})

That means, that CMake trying to find "ippcore.h" in $IPPROOT/include and "libippcore.a" in $IPPROOT/lib/intel64 directories. Please, make sure, that those files are there.

0 Kudos
Timo_B_
Beginner

Sergey Khlystov (Intel) wrote:

Hi Timo,

You can see in "FindIPP.cmake" file that looking for IPP in example's CMake scripts is:

set(INTERNAL_IPP_INC $ENV{IPPROOT}/include)

set(INTERNAL_IPP_LIB $ENV{IPPROOT}/lib/${INTERNAL_ARCH})

and

find_path   (INTERNAL_IPP_INC_CORE ippcore.h  PATHS ${INTERNAL_IPP_INC})

find_library(INTERNAL_IPP_LIB_CORE ippcore${INTERNAL_IPP_LIB_SUF} PATHS ${INTERNAL_IPP_LIB})

That means, that CMake trying to find "ippcore.h" in $IPPROOT/include and "libippcore.a" in $IPPROOT/lib/intel64 directories. Please, make sure, that those files are there.

Thank you for your swift reply, Sergey.

My IPPROOT variable is this: /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.3.174/ipp

The ippcore.h file is here: /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.3.174/ipp/include/ippcore.h

There is no libippcore.a file in /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.3.174/ipp/lib/intel64 however, there is a libippcore.so and libippcore.so.8.1 file in that folder.

Can the latter be the issue here, as this is not a .a file?

0 Kudos
Timo_B_
Beginner

Alright, it turns out that the environment variables were not there anymore when running the command with sudo. That is why the configuration for the codecs were successful when running without sudo but the cmake command gave a permission denied error. The environment variable linking to the right IPPROOT path was missing when invoking the build command with the superuser.

In case someone has the same problem, here is my solution that solved the problem and got me building the IPP-samples8 working:

• sudo visudo #opens up the /etc/sudoers.tmp file with nano
  • add this line to the file, in order to keep environment variables for sudo: Defaults env_keep+="IPPROOT IPROOT LD_LIBRARY_PATH" #I think IPPROOT is sufficient, but I added the others aswell, just in case it is needed
  • save the file with ctrl+0 and exit with ctrl+x
  • cd ~/Downloads/ipp-samples.8.0.0.005/builder
  • sudo ./build.sh --sample=speech-codecs --arch=intel64 --ws=make --conf=release --build --clean #adjust to your needs. You can see options by invoking ./build.sh without parameters
  • the script should build the speech codecs sample files and give back a "State: OK" at the end. That's it

I finally got it to work. Thank you all, as this forum helped me dive further into the matter.

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Glad to hearing that.

By the way, why do you need sudo? What's exotic in your environment that prevents from running build script as an ordinary user?

I am asking this to update the building documentation if necessary.

0 Kudos
Timo_B_
Beginner

Sergey Khlystov (Intel) wrote:

By the way, why do you need sudo? What's exotic in your environment that prevents from running build script as an ordinary user?

Actually, I don't know. Since I started with linux a few weeks ago, whenever I get into permission denied errors, I use sudo. I think it is not really necessary and I just used it because I was used to use sudo. I know that's not the right way and I should get familiar with unix permissions :)

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Use "chown" and "chgrp" commands to modify owner and group of the files/directories you are working with. All others - Intel Composer files, IPP files - should have "o+r" and "o+x" access rights enough to work with them using ordinary user rights.

0 Kudos