Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6707 Discussions

Difference between static and dynamic libraries usage

gennadii_mog
Beginner

Hello everyone,

Can anybody tell me what difference between usage static or dynamic IPP libraries (from performance point of view).

Currently I am using static libraries. But I cannot set the number of threads in the multithreading
environment (ippSetNumThreads returns ippStsNoOperation).

I understand that this function is not supported in static version of libraries (even if I added openmp support).

Thanks,

Gennadii

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

Gennadii,

1) with the practical point , the are no big performance difference ( if any) between static or dynamic linking with IPP.

2) you cannot set the number of treads multithreading environment because of you linked non-threaded static libs. If you want to use the Intel IPP functions threaded with the OpenMP*, you need to link to
ipp*emerged.lib, ipp*merged_t.lib, ippsemerged.lib, ippsmerged_t.lib, ippcore_t.lib, and libiomp5mt.lib.

then, as an example, the code

int numThr = 2;
st = ippSetNumThreads(numThr);
printf("%d : %s\n", st, ippGetStatusString(st));

return

0 : ippStsNoErr: No error, it's OK

--Gennady
0 Kudos
gennadii_mog
Beginner

Gennady,

I am using mac version of IPP libraries that is why I don't have these libraries (I have theirs mac analoug). But I don't have libiomp5mt. Only libiomp.

Can you please tell me where I can get it?

I am using libiomp5 and libguide.

Thanks, Gennadii

0 Kudos
gennadii_mog
Beginner

Gennady,

Your answer very helped me. Now ippSetNumThreads returns ippStsNoErr.

But I have another question:

When I changed the number of threads in ippSetNumThreads then I don't see any threads count changes in System Monitor.

Can you explain why it so? And what should I do for fixing this item?

Thanks, Gennadii

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

There are several reasons caused such behavior. One of them. for example, may be your workload is very insignificantly. For example, look at you that will display when the dynamic linking..

--Gennady

0 Kudos