Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Does H.264 Encoder support RGB24?

Torrey_Lyons
Beginner
The readme.htm for the H.264 encoder in IPP samples says, "The encoder assumes that input VideoData object contains frame in YUV420 (I420 according to FOURCC.org) format." Before we read this we were setting the color format toUMC::RGB24 and the decoded output appears to be fine although we have issues with latency on decode. Is there some advantage or performance impact to using YUV420 rather than another color format? Or is the comment in the read me out of date? This is with IPP 7 update 5 and the latest IPP Samples7.0.5.044.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee
H.264 works with YUV420 and YUV422 only. These are native formats for codec. You will need color conversion steps if your input format is different, thus performance penalties.
What was actual input stream color format when you specified RGB24?
0 Kudos
Torrey_Lyons
Beginner
The input stream actually was RGB24 and the output after decode byH264VideoDecoder looked correct when viewed as RGB24. We only started looking more deeply at the issue when we noticed latency problems and what looked like occasional buffer overruns in the decoder. I'll convert the video to YUV422 and see if that fixes our issues.
0 Kudos