Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

FFTFwd segfaults in Java VM

tctbw
Beginner
Hello,

my aim is to filter an image with Java and to use IPP as a fast fft library.

So far I've managed to call the ipp with JNI and to really filter an image the way I want. But as my program continues, the JavaVM segfaults.

I've tracked that segfault back to the call of ippiFFTFwd_RToPack_32f_C4R (without it, nothing segfaults) and I'd really appreciate if you could track down this nasty bug, as I didn't succeed with that.

JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_de_ethrandil_imageequalizer_fftutils_impl_PPIImageFFT_setImage
(JNIEnv *env, jobject obj, jintArray argbArray, jint orderWidth, jint orderHeight)
{
const int width = 1< const int height = 1< const int pixelCount = width * height;
const IppiSize imageSize = { width, height };

//Allocate memory for image and ffted image
Ipp8u* input8u;
Ipp32f* input32f;
Ipp32f *fftImage32f;

int stepInput8u, stepInput32f, stepFftImage32f;
input8u = ippiMalloc_8u_C4(width, height, &stepInput8u);
input32f = ippiMalloc_32f_C4(width, height, &stepInput32f);
fftImage32f = ippiMalloc_32f_C4(width, height, &stepFftImage32f);

//Load interlaced pixel values from Java
//The trick is, that jint is 4 bytes long and so generates an interlaced 4channel pixel.
(*env)->GetIntArrayRegion(env, argbArray, 0, pixelCount, (jint*)input8u);

//Convert to 32bit float image
ippiConvert_8u32f_C4R(input8u, stepInput8u, input32f, stepInput32f, imageSize);
ippiFree( input8u );

//Allocate FFT-Specs
IppiFFTSpec_R_32f *spec;
IppStatus status;
int bufferSize;

status = ippiFFTInitAlloc_R_32f(&spec, orderWidth, orderHeight, IPP_FFT_DIV_INV_BY_N, ippAlgHintAccurate);

//Perform FFT on 32bit image
status = ippiFFTFwd_RToPack_32f_C4R( input32f, stepInput32f,
fftImage32f, stepFftImage32f,
spec, 0 );

//Drop input image
ippiFree( input32f );

//Store pointer to ffted Image and Specs in java object
jclass cls = (*env)->GetObjectClass(env, obj);
jfieldID imagePointerFieldID = (*env)->GetFieldID(env, cls, "_nativeImagePointer", "J");
&nb sp; (*env)->SetLongField(env, obj, imagePointerFieldID, toJava( fftImage32f ));
jfieldID specPointerFieldID = (*env)->GetFieldID(env, cls, "_nativeFFTSpecPointer", "J");
(*env)->SetLongField(env, obj, specPointerFieldID, toJava( spec ));

return;
}

I am using ipp 5.3.3.075 on 64bit Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and a Core2Duo cpu.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
tctbw
Beginner
Javas problematic frame was always in libpthread.so. To disable multithreading I switched to static linking and that solved the problem. But that is not what I want - faster is better. Does anyone have an idea if i could use threading in a java-compliant way?
0 Kudos
Ying_S_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tctbw
Javas problematic frame was always in libpthread.so. To disable multithreading I switched to static linking and that solved the problem. But that is not what I want - faster is better. Does anyone have an idea if i could use threading in a java-compliant way?

Could you please providethe orderWidth and orderHeight values. Does it also fail with ippSetNumThreads(1)?

0 Kudos