Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Faster Jpeg Encoder [UIC, IJC, Picnic]

Vinicius_Strasser
Hi,
I would need to encode JPEG Images faster than .net and other common encoders.
Some basic information about the JPEG images and about the system:
* gray-scale - 8 bits
* lossy
* 640x512px
* 200 fps
* compression ratio is important, but the encoding time should not be greater than 8~10ms per image in a normal computer
The procedure is also very simple: the image data, that is received from the device - 1 byte per pixel - should be encoded in memory, where input and output are pre-allocated buffers. The application may be written in C, C++ or .net.
I have checked UIC Picnic and the results of the compiled demo are great. But,unfortunately, I could not recompile it using VS2008.
I would like to get UIC Picnic compiled in VS2008 to test the complete system. A complete VS project would be perfect, but any help, instructing how to get it compiled, will be welcome!
As I could see, the UIC would be fast enough for this purpose. Also, any suggestion about performance improvement will be welcome.
Best Regards
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

thanks for your interest to Intel IPP Unified Image Codec. What kind of problem you have recompiling UIC sample? It should come with simple command line build system (some batch and Makefilefiles). Please refer to sample's readme.htm file for details on how to build that.

Note, we also provide precompiled UIC sample as a separate download (called as UIC picnic demo). It contain precompiled UIC DLLs andand GUI picnic sample application

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
Vinicius_Strasser
Dear Vladimir,
At first, thanks for yourquicklyreply.
The compiled UIC is working perfectly. I could not find a Visual Studio project for it... this way I have had to create my own, including the files that are in the source directory. Any way, I am downloading QT and I will try to compile it again.
Is there a VS C++ project for UIC?
Best Regards.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Ok, now I got your point...

Unfortunately we only provide Makefile based build for UIC sample.
NOte Qt library is only needed for picnic applilcation. You do not need that if you only want to build UIC codecs and simple command line application uic_transcoder_con.

Most difficult part when creating Visual Studio project will be specifying path for header files required for each codec. Please refer to Makefile for what folders should be included into path for each UIC codec (JPEG2000 is most compicated case, I think).

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

In case if you need additional information on Building UIC in Visual Studio, Vladimir has answered customers questions in the forum thread. Please refer to it.

Also, this might be useful. Compiling and Linking Intel IPP with Microsoft* Visual C++* and Intel C++ Compiler

Thanks,

Naveen Gv

0 Kudos