Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Fastest JPEG decoder

jmlopez0
Beginner
We have bought some days ago the IPP 7.0.1 for image processing and we think it could also help us to improve our (very) old IJL based JPEG decoder.
The precompiled UIC, as far as I know, needs the TBB to work, but we don't have it nor need it for any other thing.
We will be working with big JPEG images (i.e. 1280x960) in a heavily multithreaded application that needs to decode as many images per second as possible.
I would appreciate any help you could provide.
Best regards.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

in the UIC framework it is only JPEG-XR and DDS (texture compression) components which are threaded with Intel TBB. If your application need only JPEG you can safely use it without TBB (although for the future we are looking to replace OpenMP threading in JPEG codec to TBB).

So, in IPP 7.0 UIC JPEG codec (uic_jpeg-1.0.dll) is threaded with OpenMP. You can disable internal threading in UIC JPEG codec with SetNumThreads call in UIC JPEG component (that might be useful in case your application is already heavily threaded).

Regards,
Vladimir

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

in the UIC framework it is only JPEG-XR and DDS (texture compression) components which are threaded with Intel TBB. If your application need only JPEG you can safely use it without TBB (although for the future we are looking to replace OpenMP threading in JPEG codec to TBB).

So, in IPP 7.0 UIC JPEG codec (uic_jpeg-1.0.dll) is threaded with OpenMP. You can disable internal threading in UIC JPEG codec with SetNumThreads call in UIC JPEG component (that might be useful in case your application is already heavily threaded).

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos