Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

Fastest way possible to decode Motion JPEG2000 frames

Hi-Sung_K_
Beginner
Hi
I am having performance issues when decoding Motion JPEG2000 frames produced by ADV202. I am using Picnic/UIC sample from IPP 6.1 and each frame takes about 15-17 ms to decode (on W3520@2.67 GHz). I have profiled it by using Intel Parallell Studio that most of the the time is spentin DecodeCBProgrStep_JPEG2K, if I choose to use only one thread.

If Ilet IPP decide how many threads to use, The CPU rockets to 100% forall 8 CPU-cores and it takes 90 ms for each frame to be decoded.

How do I decode MJPEG2000 in the fastest way possible using IPP? For example, the commercial Aware ccodec decodes each fram in 7-8 ms on the same hardware. I've also testedMorgan's MJPEG2000 codec and it is almost twice as fast as Aware's codec.

Best regards,

Kim
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel
Hi Kim,
Thanks for the issue. Actually, this decoding progression function (ippiDecodeCBProgrStep_JPEG2K) is not threaded at all. You can easily check it intoThreadedFunctionsList.txt.
Hence no sense to run this function in multicore environment.
Nevertheless, can you give us the streams you are using for checking the problem on our side?
we will ask JP2K's expert to look at this problem and may be they may help you with this issue.
--Gennady
0 Kudos
Hi-Sung_K_
Beginner
Hi Gennady

I have posted it as an issue at Intel Premier Support: https://premier.intel.com/premier/IssueDetail.aspx?IssueID=589802>> which has been escalated butnothing new has been presented since 22th of June.

There is a file attached there. I would like to post it here as well if you cannot access the issue, but I don't know how.

best regards,

Kim
0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel
Thanks Kim. We will check it. For the future, you can attach these data into this thread. Please see this threadwhere Vladimir explained how to do that.
Regards, Gennady
0 Kudos