Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Community support and discussions relating to developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
6595 Discussions

Fastest way to mulitply 64fc by 64f (complex times scalar)

Brian_L_
Beginner

Assume I have the following:

Ipp64fVector my_all_real_vector
Ipp64fcVector my_complex_vector

and I want to multiply them.

Is it faster to split complex and do 2 real multiplies and rebuild complex, or make real into complex and do complex multiplies??

Strategy 1:

ippsCplxToReal_64fc(my_complex_vector, my_real_parts, my_imag_parts);
ippsMul_64f_I(my_all_real_vector, my_real_parts);
ippsMul_64f_I(my_all_real_vector, my_imag_parts);
ippsRealToCplx_64f(my_real_parts, my_imag_parts, my_complex_vector);

Strategy 2:

ippsRealToCplx_64f(my_all_real_vector, NULL, my_real_but_complex_vec);
ippsMul_64fc_I(my_real_but_complex_vec, my_complex_vector);

I did a quick test to compare and they came out close.  I expected the real multiplies to beat the complex, but maybe the overhead to repack is significant.  What is the recommended best practice in this scenario?  (my vector lengths ~1k to ~26k)

Thanks!

-Brian

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rodney_T_
Beginner

It is a shame there is not a 64-bit implementation of ippsMul_32f32fc_I() as that appears to be what you need!

Maybe feature request it from Intel? Alternatively, is there a way you could represent your data with 32-bit precision instead?

Ivan_Z_Intel
Employee

I think the appropriate scenario for this case is this:

ippsMul_64f_I(my_all_real_vector, (Ipp64f *)my_complex_vector, length);

ippsMul_64f_I(my_all_real_vector, (Ipp64f *)my_complex_vector + length, length);

Thanks.

Ivan_Z_Intel
Employee

I'm sorry.

My scenario is not appropriate.

Perhaps right scenario is such:

ippsRealToCplx_64f(my_all_real_vector, my_all_real_vector,, tmp_complex_vector, length);

ippsMul_64f_I((Ipp64f *)tmp_complex_vector, (Ipp64f *)my_complex_vector, length+length);

I'm sorry once more.

Thanks.