Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

G.729 on PXA27x

stasdesy
Beginner
Hi All,

I'd like to use IPP G.729 codec sample on PXA270 processor. Is it feasible to change header files and try porting the IPP sample to PXA ?

Is there a PXA270 G.729 sample ?

Regards,
Stas.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
stasdesy
Beginner
I ported the sample and it runs to the point where IPP calls are made. It fails at ippsMul_NR_16s_Sfs call in encg729.c line 1578.

I compiled and linked the sample using EVC 4.0 with IXP header and lib files. I added a definition of _USC_G729 in the project definition section.

I suspect that it is an issue of retail / trial version of the IXP library. I currently have the trial version. Can someone please confirm ?
0 Kudos
Ying_S_Intel
Employee
Dear Customer,
There is no difference between the retail / trial version of the IXP library in 5.0 except the license agreement.

By the way, our suport engineer is working on the same issue you reported via another channel, do you have account with Intel Premier Support?

Thanks,
Ying S
Intel Corp.

Message Edited by ysong on 01-10-2006 04:15 PM

0 Kudos
stasdesy
Beginner
Hi,
I do not have Intel Premier Support as I did not purchased the library yet. I'll purchase it if comeone can confirm that the provided sample can be compiled and run on PXA270 with IXP or WMMX version of the library.

I can't efford to spend a month or more on codec optimization using IPP or other library. If IPP does not provide an answer I'd have to purchase a comercial solution (probably costly but time to market is more important in my case).

Please help.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi,

You should not wait until someone will confirm you something. Just download evaluation version of IPP for IXP and samples and prove that by yourself. As I can see IPP speech samples should work on Xscale under both WindowsCE and Montavista Linux (big and little endian).

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
stasdesy
Beginner

As I mentioned above the code compiled with IXP version of the library fails. I don't know what is possibly wrong with IXP on PXA270 but the sample provided crash on library calls.

Please see my previous posts for detatils.

0 Kudos
stasdesy
Beginner
Yeeha, I was finally able to run the G.729 on my WinCE platform.
In order to compile and run the sample the following define is required - NO_SCRATCH_MEMORY_USED

Can someone explain what does it do ?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi,

I glad you solve this issue. IPP Speech codecs can use their own memory manger, so called scratch memory. In this case you have to create memory pool big enough to satisfy codec's memory requirements. BTW, by default it is not used in sample's Makefile. You probably port sample to MSVC project? You have to be careful, to reflect all sample's build options we provide in Makefile.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
stasdesy
Beginner
The G.729 sample decoder produce incorrect result if more then one instance of the decoder are run in the same process.

Is this a known behavior ? Is there a work around ?
0 Kudos