Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

GradientVectorPrewitt/Scharr/Sobel

Adriaan_van_Os
New Contributor I

I have two suggestions related to the parameters of GradientVectorPrewitt, GradientVectorScharr and GradientVectorSobel.

1. The functions are quite useful, for example in implementing non-linear diffusion functions that are not in IPP (Perona-Malik, Weickert and Charbonnier https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_diffusion). But the ippiGradientVector functions require that space is allocated for all return images: Gx, Gy, magnitude and angle. That is a waste of space and computing-time for return parameters that are not relevant for further calculations. For example, typically one may need magnitude only. So, I suggest that these functions permit return image parameters to be NULL.

2. Further calculations may need the square-magnitude rather than the magnitude. So, to save a square-root followed by a square, I suggest ippNormSquareL2.

Of course, I understand that these functions can be emulated with other IPP calls.

Regards,

Adriaan van Os

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ruqiu_C_Intel

Dear Adriaan van Os,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! We will discuss the suggestions carefully internally. 

Best Regards,

Ruqiu

0 Kudos
Ruqiu_C_Intel

We have already put the new features into our develop plan.

We will no longer respond to this thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

0 Kudos