Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

H.264 multi-threaded encoding performance

shyaki
Beginner

There are many h.264 encoders out there like x264, mainconcept, intel. As I know, these software implementations are not realtime when compressing HD video (1080i or 720p). This significantly limits the usage of H264 compared with MPEG2. The intel one multi-threads the tasks among slices per frame. One frame has to be encoded before starting a new one. This is not efficient if a frame has less number of slices than the processors. I think there must be some new threading strategies to exploit the concurrency across frames. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

of course different threading approaches are possible. We just implemented one in IPP sample. I think you might also be interested to take a look at Intel Media SDK product which is intended to achieve the best performance by utilizing both software and hardware capabilities of Intel platforms.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
Hello,

of course different threading approaches are possible. We just implemented one in IPP sample. I think you might also be interested to take a look at Intel Media SDK product which is intended to achieve the best performance by utilizing both software and hardware capabilities of Intel platforms.

Regards,
Vladimir

I did a little reading about the Intel Media SDK, and while it does sounds very interesting, it requires at least Vista, is that correct?

Peter
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Yes, I think it is correct.As time is going, we need to look at future, isn't it?

Vladimir
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
Yes, I think it is correct.As time is going, we need to look at future, isn't it?

Vladimir

Agreed (mostly). I just didn't want shyaki to start getting excited about the SDK (like I did) only to discover that it is Vista only. As for looking forward, I am hoping that Windows 7 overcomes some of the Vista problems that has caused IT departments all over to block its installation on corporate PCs.

Peter
0 Kudos