Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

H264 Encoder Thread Usage

vardar
Beginner
Hello all,
I'm encoding streams into H264 with H264Enc and when I encode 3 streamseach in one thread CPU usage is around 5% (I am using i7 machine)
But when I encode 9 streams CPU usage is around 85%.
Sure I don't expect linear increase, it would beexponential because of increased number of threads,more context switches etc. But isn't this an insane increase?
I'm not using OPENMP and I set H264EncoderParams.numThreadsto 1. Also number of slicesin par file is set to 1.
It seems that each encoder uses 3 threads. I'm not sure if it is correct way to check but I am looking total thread numbers, for 9 streams 39 , 8 streams 36, 7 streams 33. Which seems that each encoder using 3 threads.What I'm doing is just start a new thread for each stream which has encoding loop and nothing else at all. Shouldn't each stream use just 1 thread? What can be these extra 2 threads for each encoder?
I also tried to set ippSetNumThreads(1); And since I am using static linking,it returnedippStsNoOperation (For static library internal threading is not supported)
Any help will be appreciated
Many thanks
-victor
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chao_Y_Intel

Hello victor,

>>I'm not using OPENMP and I set H264EncoderParams.numThreads to 1. Also number of slices in par file is set to 1.

Could you have a check on the following post? This post discussed OpenMP threading performance and the steps to disable the OpenMP threading:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=75300

To disable the OMP threaded in the Codec, you can check at the \audio-video-codecs\Makefile file, and remove the following:

ifeq ("$(OPENMP_SUPPORT)","")

CFLAGS += -openmp

else

ifeq ($(OPENMP_SUPPORT),YES)

CFLAGS += -fopenmp

endif

No additional threadings are expected to be created if OpenMP runtime library is not linked with your application.

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
vardar
Beginner
Hi dear Chao,
many thanks for your endless support.
Unfortunately I couldn't find mentioned text in makefile.
I'm using windows samples on win32 platform and I'm copying openmp related text in my makefile file.

!IF "$(COMP)" == "icl101" || "$(COMP)" == "icl110"
CFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) /Qopenmp /Qopenmp-lib:compat
ICL_OMPLIB_LINK = libiomp5md.lib
!ENDIF
!ENDIF
!IF "$(CC)" == "cl.exe" && "$(ARCH)" == "win32"
CFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) /openmp
!ENDIF
!IF "$(COMP)" == "icl101" || "$(COMP)" == "icl110"CFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) /Qopenmp /Qopenmp-lib:compatICL_OMPLIB_LINK = libiomp5md.lib!ENDIF!ENDIF
!IF "$(CC)" == "cl.exe" && "$(ARCH)" == "win32"CFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) /openmp
!ENDIF
Shoudl I simply remove all of them?
0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Hello,

The OpenMP compiling flag I suggested came from the old version of makefile. In the new version of IPP sample code, it is to remove the code you suggest.

Thank you!
Chao

0 Kudos