Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6734 Discussions

How to create video with MPEG-4 Visual for IPod Classic?

svilst
Beginner

I'm using IPP 7.0.4 and I'm trying to create a video with MPEG-4 Visual in MP4 container for IPod classic. I can do it sucessfully with H264 and I'm taking into consideration the restrictions imposed by the device (such as profile, level, frame size, bitrate, etc.)

My video is accepted by iTunes, transfers to IPod Classic, can be started but the display is blank, only audio is heard. The same video plays fine on IPod Touch and IPad.

My research shows that the main problem is in the video bitstream. Do you have any information on this?

Is there an important part of MPEG-4 Visual that is not implemented in IPP and that may be required by IPod Classic?

Thanks.

Svilen

0 Kudos
1 Solution
anonymous210
Novice
Quoting svilst

I'm using IPP 7.0.4 and I'm trying to create a video with MPEG-4 Visual in MP4 container for IPod classic. I can do it sucessfully with H264 and I'm taking into consideration the restrictions imposed by the device (such as profile, level, frame size, bitrate, etc.)

My video is accepted by iTunes, transfers to IPod Classic, can be started but the display is blank, only audio is heard. The same video plays fine on IPod Touch and IPad.

My research shows that the main problem is in the video bitstream. Do you have any information on this?

Is there an important part of MPEG-4 Visual that is not implemented in IPP and that may be required by IPod Classic?

Thanks.

Svilen

Hi Svilen,

The solution to that problem is not obvious. The UMC MPEG4 encoder puts a string like
"Intel MPEG-4 encoder based on Intel IPP 6.1 build 137.56[6.1.137.799]"
in the user data element. It is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery hard task forIPod Classic to parse a user data longer than 64 chars and that's why it does not play the video. Just put a shorter string and you will see a miracle.

Thanks,
Anonymous2

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
anonymous210
Novice
Quoting svilst

Thanks.

Svilen

Hi Svilen,

The solution to that problem is not obvious. The UMC MPEG4 encoder puts a string like
"Intel MPEG-4 encoder based on Intel IPP 6.1 build 137.56[6.1.137.799]"
in the user data element. It is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery hard task forIPod Classic to parse a user data longer than 64 chars and that's why it does not play the video. Just put a shorter string and you will see a miracle.

Thanks,
Anonymous2
0 Kudos
svilst
Beginner

Many, many thanks!

It WAS a miracle indeed!

I'm amazed that such a popular device such as iPod Classic chokes on the user data length. I've had hard times with it and I'm glad it's over.

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Thanks for sharing on this. It is very useful information for those who want to create Ipod videos.

Chao
0 Kudos