Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

IPP 5.0 on AMD based system.

sgajjela
Beginner

I'm using a machine with AMD processor for upgrading IPP 3.0 to 5.0. Install CD contains multiple flavors of installs, based on processor type. What favor is to be used for AMD processors?

Following are the directoreis I see in the install CD.

1. Instman

2. setup_em64t

3.setup_ia32

4. setup_itanium

5. setup_ipx

6. setup_pca_wmmx

Thank you for the help.

Srinivasa

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Srinivasa,

first of all, why do you upgrade to the old version of IPP? Please be informed that the latest available version is IPP 5.1, and IPP 5.2 beta program is active, so you might be interested in trying the latest version.

The second, to be honest, I'm not expert in AMD processors, but as far as I know, AMD have no true 64-bit architecture, like Intel Itanium.I'm not sure ifAMDhavemobile architecture, like Intel XScale, do they? So, it seems that you do not need in itanium, ixp and pca_wmmx distributives. The two leftare ia32 and em64t.

If your processor is compatible with Extended memory 64-bit technology (I'll put it simplier, if you run 64-bit OS)you need em64t package otherwise ia32.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
sgajjela
Beginner

Vladimir,

We have been exploring IPP 5.0 since few weeks. Sure. I will download IPP 5.2 beta to understand the features in the latest version.

Primary reasons for upgrading from IPP 3.0 to 5.0 is 64-bit compatability, examine the functions to see if the new library has a better way to do video encoding.

Is IPP 3.0 compilable on 64-Bit Windows OS? (Especially Intel JPeg Library functions)

Yes. I'm using 64 Bit Windows OS .

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Srinivasa

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi,

it is possible to run 32-bit processes on 64-bit OS, so basically I think you can use IPP 3.0 in 32-bit application on 64-bit OS. If your goal is to build 64-bit application to run it on 64-bit OS, you need to use 64-bit libraries.

You mentioned Intel JPEG Library functions, and I want to inform you that we have more advanced JPEG sample (JPEGView). It supports more features than old IJL intrface. The new features are:

1. threading (you need to build it with Intel compiler to enable OpenMP API)

2. lossless JPEG coding up to 16-bit.

3.In IPP 5.2 beta it also supports lossy 12-bit JPEG decoding.

Note, we also have JPEG2000 codec and several MPEG codecs, including DV, H.261, H.263, H.264, MPEG2 and MPEG4. Please take a look on IPP media sample.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
sgajjela
Beginner

Hi Vladimir ,

My goal is build the project on 64 bit windows with 64 bit Visual C++ 2005 and then run on 64 bit OS. Thank you so much about JPEG features in the IPP 5.2. You saved lot of my reading time.

I tried to build our existing application with IPP 5.0 on 64 bit machine. I have specified following IPP 5.0 libs as input libraries to the project. Still I am getting the linker errors as before I tried to compile the project with IPP 3.0.

List of input libs to the project (execuse, if the list contains any lib is listed more than once)ippcorel.lib
ippjemerged.lib
ippjmerged.lib
ippsemerged.lib
ippsmerged.lib
ippiemerged.lib
ippimerged.lib
ippacemerged.lib
ippacmerged.lib
ippalign.lib
ippccemerged.lib
ippccmerged.lib
ippchemerged.lib
ippchmerged.lib
ippcvemerged.lib
ippcvmerged.lib
ippdcemerged.lib
ippdcmerged.lib
ippmemerged.lib
ippmmerged.lib
ippscemerged.lib
ippscmerged.lib
ippsremerged.lib
ippsrmerged.lib
ippvcemerged.lib
ippvcmerged.lib
ippvmemerged.lib
ippvmmerged.lib

and Project C++ pre-processor settings are

WIN64;_WINDOWS;NDEBUG;_USRDLL;_MERGE_PROXYSTUB

Following is one of the linker errors.

Error3error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol ijlFree referenced in function "public: bool __cdecl cDvrCompress::CompressImage(int,class cBuffer &,class cBuffer &)" (?CompressImage@cDvrCompress@@QEAA_NHAEAVcBuffer@@0@Z)dvr.lib

Could you please suggest what I am missing in the project settings ?

Thanks,

Srinivasa

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Srinivasa,

first, if your goal is to build 64-bit application, you need to use 64-bit libraries from IPP for EM64T package. Their names like ippcoreem64tl.lib, ippjemergedem64t.lib, ippjmergedem64t.lib

second, it seems you did not move to new JPEG sample and still trying to build IJL sample. We did not test IJL sample on 64-bit systems, so there might be some issues. In release we only deliver IJL sample for Win32.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
sgajjela
Beginner

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you so much for suggestions.

All the linker errors are fixed and project build is succeeded with WithEM64T package .

I was not trying to build IJL Sample project. Tried to build the project I am working on, whichwasdevelopedusing IPL 3.0. My next step is to replace the IPP 3.0 functions with IPP 5.0.

Thanks again,

Srinivasa

0 Kudos