Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

IPP 5.1 Perfomance

ligoban
Beginner

I want to get informations about resources (MIPS, MFLOPS) IPP 5.1 VoIP applications need on different Intel'sprocessors. VoIPneeds real-time. Could it be supplied by IPP 5.1 vocoders and VoIP applications?

Thanks,all..

Leonid Bandrivchak

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

I'm not sure we have vocoder or VoIP samples in IPP, please check speech coding samples

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

I mean speech applications, exactly. Speech Coding examples include codecs and applications.

I need information about perfomance this examples need.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

We do not have such data publicly available, but what prevent you to get this numbers by yourself, with your specific data in your specific environment?

Vladimir

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

What is the difference between source code and examples I downloaded for free and those that costs $199 ?

If I count perfomance using free sources is the result deffier from requiring payment sources?

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

There is no difference between IPP samples sources and IPP binaries between evaluation version of IPP and full version. The main difference is license, you can't use evaluation version IPP in commercial products (and there is time limitation for evaluation period). Additionally, full version of IPP includes IPP static libraries which eval version doesn't include. Optimization level, number of supported platforms and operating systems is the same for all IPP versions.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

Does the IPP 5.1 speech coding support real time evaluating?

You said that payment requiering version of IPP includes static libraries. As I understand I cannot compile thefree sources without this libraries. Is it right?

The most importatnt question is real-time support.

0 Kudos
postaquestion
Novice

An addendum to Leonid's question:

In the review of the Integrated Performance Primitives 5.1, itsaid that such platforms as Intel IXP4xx Processors and Intel PXA27x Processors are supported. How many channels of vocoders could be run on the processors of this series if multichannel is supported?

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

I'm affraid I did not fully understand what do you mean under real-time evaluation.. You can register for evaluation of IPP, download IPP binaries for every platform/OS you like (IA32, EM64T, Itanium, IXP and Windows, Linux, Macosx), download IPP samples for area of your interest (signal processing, image processing, video/audio/image/speech/coding, computer vision, data compression and so on). Then you can build those samples and evaluate performance and functionality provided by IPP. Note, we also distribute IPP functions performance data for all supported platforms, you can find these data in IPP oolsperfsysdata folder after installation of IPP on your system). This is performance data for single IPP functions rather than high-level functionality, like codec. Using that you probably can estimate how good is IPP optimization and how much it can add to your application performance (if you know where is the performance bottleneck in your application and there is appropriate IPP function or set of functions to substitute that).

All IPP samples use DLL link by default, so you can build them with both evaluation version and full version of IPP

Hope you'll find IPP useful for your purposes

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

"All IPP samples use DLL link by default"

Vladimir,

where can I get this DLL? I need to have the DLL to compile the free sources (and calculate perfomance). The question of perfomance is important. Each sources optimized for any platform have a definite number of MIPS or MFLOPS need to run the code. This is rather important for vocoders: we need to support real-time. How cam I choose the CPU if I don't know the perfomance your source need to be ran? Especially when I need to run it in real-time mode.

Would you give me the contucts of any person who worked with the problem of erpfomance more closely, please.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

When you register for IPP evaluation you will be able to download:

1. IPP binaries (DLLs and header files for Windows)

2. source code of IPP samples (which can be built with these DLLs)

I'll bring our expert's attaention to your questions

Vladimir

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

1. What library do I need to compile and run the Speech coding application (the source code of the Speech codine I've aledy downloaded from Intel's site)?

2. Give me URLs where I could download the libraries (for free, to compute the perfomance), please.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

You need IPP libraries for appropriate platform. Please register for evaluation and download IPP SDK from here: Intel Integrated Performance Primitives

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Vyacheslav_Baranniko
New Contributor II

The speech coding sampleapplication (./usc_speech_codec) reports performance in MHz per real channel, so you by simply dividing CPU frequency in MHz bysum of an specific encoder and decoderperformance numbers to get fairlygood estimatefor number of real-time VoIP full duplex channels. The sample supports many different payload formats: G729, G729A,G723.1, AMRWBetc, so you can choose one to guess about its performance inreal time VoIP application.

Vyacheslav (Slava)

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

Slava, do you mean 1 MHz per channel and real-time supported?

Where did you got this number? What about the number of MIPS/MFLOPS?

If I've got for example 900 MHz Intel CPU, how many channels can I run in ideal?

And other questions - where can I get information in what COMMERCIAL projects IPP was used?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

Question is closed.

Thanks for all.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

Regarding IPP usage by others, please take a look on Intel Software Development Products Customer Commentspage, where you can find opinion from some of our customers

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

Thank you, questions about performance areclosed.

What about the commercial applications IPP 5.1 used at?

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

Vladimir, thank you very much for help.

All question were answered.

0 Kudos
email_srikar
Beginner
Hi Vladimir,

I am building an application which could do trancodation between diffrent audio codecs, for which I want to use Intel IPP.

Further to your above reply, I have downloaded the evaluation version and sample code of speech codecs.
Could you please let me know if I can use the sample code for speech codec directly to transcode from one codec to another (for eg. from AMR to G729), or is that that the sample code is just a dummy kind of code which is not really functional but just shows that how to use Intel IPP functionalities for encoding and decoding.

Thanks & Regards,
Srikar
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Srikar,

It is not a just dummy code but it is implementation of several speech codecs. Of course it may require some effort to integrate it into your application, but it require nothing from you to implement speech codec itself as it was already implemented. If you have any specific questions on IPP speech codec example let's discuss them in separate thread.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos