Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

IPP 6 Video Renders on Win32

hsunnet
Novice

When try with simple_player on IPP6, for some reason, when I use DX as video render on Vista, it shows error: "Error in video render". So I switch to GDI and noticed that this (and some other) renders are removed in video_render lib. Yet they are still available in sample simple_player as render options.

On Win32 platform, There used to be 3 video renders (DX, GDI and BLT) and 2 audio renders (DSOUND and WINMM) available on IPP5.3. Now only DX video render and DSound audio render are still available in IPP6. Considering it as a degradation?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,
Ourgoal was to minimize number of components in UMC sample to optimize technical support workload required to maintain this complicated sample.
Could you please provide more info on issue you met on Vista? Do you have Vista DX drivers for your graphics card?
Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
hsunnet
Novice
Quoting - vdudnik
Hello,
Ourgoal was to minimize number of components in UMC sample to optimize technical support workload required to maintain this complicated sample.
Could you please provide more info on issue you met on Vista? Do you have Vista DX drivers for your graphics card?
Regards,
Vladimir

Thanks Vladimir,

> Ourgoal was to minimize number of components in UMC sample to optimize technical support workload required to maintain this complicated sample.

In this case, it would be nicer if you could keep Usage and related readme.htm (in simple_player and video_renders) updated.

> Could you please provide more info on issue you met on Vista? Do you have Vista DX drivers for your graphics card?
Regards,

I tested on a desktop and a laptop with same issue:

Laptop:
Graphics card: Navidia 9600 GT
Installed with latest graphics driver and Microsoft DirectX August. 2008 SDK.

Desktop:
Graphics card: ATI 2600HD
Installed with latest graphics driver from ATI and Microsoft DirectX Nov. 2007 SDK.

Issue:
When play a file with simple_player:
simple_player file_path -vdx

No video window displayed and no more console message and no CPU usage, press enter lead to application exit with message
"Error in video render".

Console output:

Video Render : DX
-RenderFormat: YV12

Stream Type : MPEG2T
Video Info :
-Video Type : H264
-Resolution : 1280x720
-Frame Rate : 59.94
DecRate:60.44 fps(Dec 13.42ms/f + Conv 3.12ms/f = 16.54ms/f) RndrRate 0.00fps Audio Dec 0.00chnls
Error in video render

Related code: avsync.cpp

// Wait for the free buffer in the video render
do
{
umcRes = m_pVideoRender->LockInputBuffer(&out_data);

// Be aware that video render surface was locked and not released yet
if (UMC::UMC_OK == umcRes)
{
bVideoRndrIsLocked = true;
break;
}
// there is only one legal error return value,
// all other are incorrect.
else if ((!m_bStopFlag) &&
(UMC::UMC_ERR_NOT_ENOUGH_BUFFER == umcRes ||UMC::UMC_ERR_TIMEOUT == umcRes ))
{
vm_time_sleep(DEF_TIME_TO_SLEEP);
}
else
{
vm_string_printf(VM_STRING("Error in video rendern"));
break;
}

Debug descrpiton:
time out when m_pVideoRender->LockInputBuffer:
umcRes = m_pVideoRender->LockInputBuffer(&out_data);

Let me know if you need further information.

I also noticed that performance (using simple_player, which shows frame rate) on Vista (SP1) is significantly slower than on XP (SP2). As IPP6 DirectX render is not available, this test is done with IPP 5.3 though.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Thanks for detailed information. We will investigate this issue
Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos