Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

IPP H264 decoder performance issue with high resolution

Ofer_I_
Beginner

Hi,

I am using IPP version 7.0 for decoding H264 video stream for RT application.

When trying to decode high resolution of 2640x2640@30fps I noticed the decoder takes average of ~50-70 ms per frame (sometime it can take up to 500 ms) on my i7 machine, which doesn't meet RT requirements for 30fps.

Is there away to get better performance for this use case? 

Do newer IPP versions provide better performance for decoding H264?

Thanks,

Ofer

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Chao_Y_Intel

HI Ofer, 

Have you got chance to check Intel Media SDK. Here is the product forum.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk

Intel IPP has not optimized for the codec for several versions.  For Codec support, users are recommended to the media products, it provides both the CPU and the GPU optimization. 

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
Ofer_I_
Beginner

Hi Chao,

Thanks for your response.

Moving to use MediaSDK seems like the right process, but this will require complex integration that will take too long f

We are currently using IPP version 7.0. I know there are newer version (such as: 8.x, 9.x). I believe that integrating newer IPP version will be easier as a first step (if it brings performance improvement) and then we can check moving to MediaSDK.

Are there performance improvements in IPP H264 codec since IPP version 7.0? if so, can you provide details on expected improvements and in what version?

Thanks,

Ofer

0 Kudos