Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

IPP and Visual Studio, how should i read an image, it is very urgent

Alper_Basturk
Beginner
First, I am sorry if this thread is amateurish. But I have a problem.

My aim is to use IPP for image processing (in Visual Studio 2008/2010).

I can not show an image matrix inpictureBox object by using IPP. In fact, interestingly I can not use IPP for reading any image, may be it is very simple, but i can not do it.

I have the book Intel Integrated Performance Primitives and alsoinspect the Intel's all documents and web sites for my problem. But I can not find any solution to my problem.

I think, there should be a function in the IPP for reading images. But I can not find. The book and the documents (mentioned above) mention about an Image8u class. But I do not understand it. It should not be difficult as is.

It is very urgent, please tell me, how shouldi read an image by using IPP and then show the obtained image matrix in pictureBox object in Visual Studio 2008/2010.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Alper,

UIC is C++ implementation of some image codecs also acompanied with couple sample applications which demonstrate how to use UIC codec to read image from files to memory buffer. I do not know what matrix you mean but how do you treat the memory buffer where your image is located is up to you.

Of ourse you also can use for the same purpose OpenCV or any other third party tool which is capable to read image data from file to memory.

Vladimir

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

IPP itself is a library of low level functions (aka algorithms building blocks) with focus on compute intensive kernels. It does not contain any file input/output operation by itself. Although using IPP functions it is possible to build some image file format processing. I would recommend you to download IPP Sample package and take a look at ipp-samples\image-codecs\uic folder, where we offer source code of Unified Image Codecs framework we built on top of IPP. It currently support BMP, PNM, PNG, JPEG, JPEG2000 image formats (and we plan to add JPEG-XR in future release).

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
Alper_Basturk
Beginner
Thank you for your kindly response.

I wonder, however, what is your suggestion about reading and then copying the images to a matrix before IPP self functions. Should I use OpenCV or Magick+ for this issue? Does uic folder include the answer of this question?

Best Regards,

Alper.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Alper,

UIC is C++ implementation of some image codecs also acompanied with couple sample applications which demonstrate how to use UIC codec to read image from files to memory buffer. I do not know what matrix you mean but how do you treat the memory buffer where your image is located is up to you.

Of ourse you also can use for the same purpose OpenCV or any other third party tool which is capable to read image data from file to memory.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
Alper_Basturk
Beginner
I mean the memory of course, it is a familiarity causing through Matlab :), excuse me.

Thanks again Vladimir.
0 Kudos