Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

IPP folder hierarchy is poorly thought out

levicki
Valued Contributor I

When installing on x64 system, IA32 version gets installed into "C:Program Files (x86)IntelIPP5.3.1.064ia32" and EM64T version (native) into "C:Program FilesIntelIPP5.3.1.064em64t".

I don't see a point in having the last part in the path (IA32 and EM64T) when they don't end up in the same folder.

Furthermore, NVIDIA does the great job of folder hierarchy organization for their Cg:

Cg
|
+-bin
|
+-bin.x64
|
+-include
|
+-lib
|
+-lib.x64

Please note how there is no path "versioning" which Intel uses for IPP and which in my opinion serves a single purpose of making you dig through your batch files, makefiles, IDE options, etc to change it every time you install the new version. They also do not sprinkle their folders all over the filesystem — they rather keep them all in one place and they have single include for x86 and x64 version.

If you need another example, take a look at Visual Studio compiler or Platform SDK.

Platform SDK
|
+-bin
| |
| +-amd64 (em64t, x64, whatever)
|
+-include
|
+-lib
  |
  +-amd64 (em64t, x64, whatever)

I suggest you change IPP folder hierarchy to follow those conventions.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello Igor,

TheIPP folder structure wasdesignedin such a way that we candeliver SDK for many architecturesboth for cross-compilation environment and for native environment as a separate packages.

To move your project to another architecture you just need to specify appropriate IPPROOT variable and do not need to care about bin.xxx and lib.yyy

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos