Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6711 Discussions

Intel IPP JPEGView sample, Quality and compression ration

shrieks
Beginner
I have a question related to Intel IPP sample - JpegView. How is the quality related to compression ratio here? I mean, is there any relation of the option given in this sample for Qaulity (0 - 100) of the image while saving BMP image as JPEG, with Compression Ratio of the output image? I beleive compression ratio is ratio of size of input image and output image. I find quality is different than this. Please give some light on this. How is it different?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Yes, quality is some kind of measure for amount of artifacts introduced by quantization step. When you set quality parameter to 100 it means no quantization will be performed and so only integer arithmetic rounding can influence to the information loss. When you set quality parameter to 0 this will cause the biggest possible quantization and as a result the best compression ratio (resulting file will have the smallest size) but information loss will be significant. You hardly ever willrecognizedecompressed picture.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos