Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Jpeg Compression

aabusai1
Beginner
Hi,
I'm wandering if IPP can read raw image files (RGB) and jpeg compress the raw file ? if yes,where I can get a quick start on how to implement that ?

Many Thanks
Amr
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Well, if you are looking something like ippReadRawImage function you will not find that in IPP. The IPP is collection of low-level highly optimized kernels you may use to construct application.

We do provide high-level code built on top of IPP as an example which show how you can use IPP functions to create JPEG codecs.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
ljdowelllanl_gov
Beginner

Well, if you are looking something like ippReadRawImage function you will not find that in IPP. The IPP is collection of low-level highly optimized kernels you may use to construct application.

We do provide high-level code built on top of IPP as an example which show how you can use IPP functions to create JPEG codecs.

Vladimir

Vladimir,

I wish to find the example to which you refer. How do I find this example?

Particularly, I wish to build a straightforward high-speed JPEG compressor, nothing fancy just fast. I don't have time to research and experiment; I need a simple example to show me how to create JPEGs in memory. The sample downloaded with the IPP library used functions to write JPEGs to files, but no documentation about how to write a JPEG to a buffer in memory.

Please advise,
Respectfully,
Jonathan - ljdowell@lanl.gov
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
In IPP 6.0 we've introduced new Unified Image Codec interface which include JPEG and JPEG2000 compression. In the next version we will add DirectX texture compression (some of algos) and PNG compression based on IPP optimized libpng library.

The UIC codec operates with memory buffers for images and with stream object to operate with JPEG bitstsream, which can be either file or memory buffer.

If you take a look at uic_transcoder application I think you will find everything you need to quickly use UIC codecs.

Your questions and feedbacks are welcome.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos