Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

MPEG4 encoder/decoder for streaming

fzhe
Beginner

hi, there,

I am trying to encode a RGB24 video sequence into MPEG4 frames, send them through TCP/IP, and decode them into RGB24 video frames again on the receiving PC.

I tried to follow the sample applications in 5.2. Boy, it ain't easy for me. Before I bang my ahead against the wall again, I want to make sure I am on the right track. :)

Several questions:

1. It seems that IPP MPEG4 decoder will onlyproduce frames inYV12 format. Is it true?

2. If yes to the first question, how do I convert the YV12 data in the outputted MediaData into an image inRGB24 format?

I did not find anything on how to access the data in the MediaData object.

3. When testing the encoder and decoder on the same machine, do the following two lines of codes suppose to work?

VideoData in, out, out_dec;

pEncoder->( in, out);

pDecoder->(out, out_dec);

Thanks!!!

Fan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

1. any UMC decoder should be able to produce a number of color formats on output due to unified color space convertor, which is part of any UMC decoder.

2. In any case you can convert color format by yourself. To have access to frame parameters, like pointer to planes and pitches you need to supply VideoData as an output paramater to decoder instead of MediaData (VideoData is derived from MediaData)

3. Things not such simple as encoder could introduce some delay if you use B-frames for examle, but in general that is correct

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos