Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Community support and discussions relating to developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Mix of IPP5.3 and IPP7.0

Lindheimer_Christoph
Hi.

We use a third party lib that uses IPP 5.3.
So the rpm installs needed IPP libs in /usr/lib (e.g /usr/lib/libippcore.so.5.3)
In the build system, the third party gives us a lcf file to add for the linker (adds -lippcore and -lipps)

Our software also needs IPP.
So I have installed IPP 7.0 in order to build our application using IPP.

If I don't change the /etc/ld.so.conf the binary uses the lib from /usr/lib (so uses IPP 5.3)
By adding correct path in ld.so.conf, I forced the binary to use the libs from /opt/intel/ ... (using IPP 7.0)

Is it risky to use IPP 7.0 with a lib that has been designed to work with IPP 5.3 ?

Do you see any possible issues, thinks to check to make it work ?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Chris,

I have not tried it, but it should work.

There is one article explains how to use multiple versions of IPP, refer to below link

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-intel-ipp-for-windo...

Regards,

Naveen Gv

ILevi1
Valued Contributor I
The only potential issues I see are:

- New library may not have all functions that the older library had.
- New library may not support some older CPUs.
- OpenMP implementations may be different and result in conflict and slow performance at best, and inaccuracy or crashing at worst.