Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

More info on IPP

narender_jain
Beginner
hi all!

Although I have sent my queries to general support email address of Intel, but I guess this forum should be able to provide me with answers faster, and all:)
We plan to build a Windows desktop PC-based Softphone (and probably later on Linux).
Here are my questions/doubts regarding the same:
0.Is the IPP available for only Intel? I mean is it also available for others like AMD? Does IPP use some Intel/Pentium specific architecture features to provide enhanced performance? Will I be able to use it for AMD, may be with slightly lower performance?
1. Does the IPP full version (that costs $199) include speech codec functionality confirming to standards: G.711 A/Mu; G.729 A,B,A/B; G.723; G.726? I mean does using IPP mean that I also have the vocoders (as may be samples?)? Are these vocoder functionality available as Windows DLLs?
2. Since Softphone is installed on an end-customer's desktop, would the IPP licensing allow me to deliver the required codec functionality to the end-customers without no additional licensing/royalty fee? Since our softphone intends to support the above mentioned codecs, would IPP licensing allow me to distribute required codecs as DLLs/LIBs (or some other form) with my softphone?
3. What is the "Renewal Pricing" quoted as $80? Is it only a renewal fee which would enable me to get support after my initial 1-year support term expires?
4. I believe that if only a single developer is integrating the IPP into softphone using a single build/test machine, we only need to buy a single license. However, I am free to distribute the IPP-integrated softphone to any number of users?
thanks and regards
narender
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ying_S_Intel
Employee
Dear Customer,
The Intel Premier Support channel has responded this issue. :-)The followingis the response I copy from that issue.
Hope it helps.
Thanks,
Ying S
Intel Corp.

0. Is the IPP available for only Intel? I mean is it also available for others like AMD? Does IPP use some Intel/Pentium specific architecture features to provide enhanced performance? Will I be able to use it for AMD, may be with slightly lower performance?

--> The Intel IPP will run on processors that are 100% compatible with Intel Architecture. It's the PX code that should be dispatched on all non-Intel processor-based systems in the current IPP 4.* versions.

I will double check the dispatch code for IPP 50 beta on AMD system and will get back to you.

1. Does the IPP full version (that costs $199) include speech codec functionality confirming to standards: G.711 A/Mu; G.729 A,B,A/B; G.723; G.726? I mean does using IPP mean that I also have the vocoders (as may be samples?)? Are these vocoder functionality available as Windows DLLs?

--> No.

The Intel IPP software library contains a variety of functions that may be used by developers as they implement products, including products that support various industry standards. Implementations of products in accordance with such standards, or the standard enabled platforms may require licenses from various entities, including Intel Corporation. Such licensing is not provided by Intel IPP

Please check our IPP licensing FAQ page at: http://www.intel.com/software/products/ipp/faq_lic.htm for details.

2. Since Softphone is installed on an end-customer's desktop, would the IPP licensing allow me to deliver the required codec functionality to the end-customers without no additional licensing/royalty fee? Since our softphone intends to support the above mentioned codecs, would IPP licensing allow me to distribute required codecs as DLLs/LIBs (or some other form) with my softphone?

---> The above reponse also answered this question.

3. What is the "Renewal Pricing" quoted as $80? Is it only a renewal fee which would enable me to get support after my initial 1-year support term expires?

---> Yes, additionallyyou will get product version update if there is new version released when you have valid support service.

4. I believe that if only a single developer is integrating the IPP into softphone using a single build/test machine, we only need to buy a single license. However, I am free to distribute the IPP-integrated softphone to any number of users?
--> Yes and Yes.

Please check the above licensing FAQ link for the answer

How many copies of the Intel IPP product do I need to secure for my project team or company?

The number of copies of the Intel IPP product needed is determined by the number of developers who are writing code compiling and testing using the Intel IPP API as well as the number of build machines involved in compiling and linking, thereby needing the full development tools file set of Intel IPP product. For example, 2 developers with up to 8 build and test machines at any given time, then 8 copies are needed.

0 Kudos