Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Network stream reader problem

mark_moore
Beginner

I've written a network stream reader by deriving from the UMC::DataReader class. It's taken me a long time but I finally have it working correctly and I can now receive and display MPEG-4 traffic from IP cameras.

The only remaining problem is that the when I call splitter.Init(pNetworkReader) in my code, the splitter takes 5-10 seconds to initialise. Could someone tell me why this is and how I can resolve it? (If I capture traffic from an IP camera and save it to file, and then replay it using UMC::FIOReader I see no such delay.)

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
I think the reason is that splitter will try to accumulate about 4Mb data before it start parsing them. Getting this amount of data via IP network probably takes that time.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
mark_moore
Beginner
I think the reason is that splitter will try to accumulate about 4Mb data before it start parsing them. Getting this amount of data via IP network probably takes that time.

Vladimir

Are you sure? Did you mean 4MB (megabytes) i.e. 4194304 bytes? or 4Mb (megabits) i.e.524288 bytes?

I hope you mean megabits. This would feel about right in terms of the volume of a CIF video stream (352x288) coming from an MPEG-4 IP camera. It wouldtake ~5 seconds to accumulate 4 megabits, or ~40 seconds for 4 megabytes.

Is there a way around this? Obviously this sort of delay when viewing live video is unacceptable to users. It makes trying to view any kind of network video using the UMC seemlike a waste of time.

Would it be possible tomodify the splitter to remove this delay?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
I thinkthatsplitter code which we distribute as an example use 4 mega bytes internal buffer for video (you may check this with source code of splitter). The audio-video-codecs sample we provide with IPP is not tuned for any particular kind of workloads (CIF in your case). Please feel free to tune it as you need or you may try to integrate IPP codecs with any third party splitter.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
mark_moore
Beginner
I thinkthatsplitter code which we distribute as an example use 4 mega bytes internal buffer for video (you may check this with source code of splitter). The audio-video-codecs sample we provide with IPP is not tuned for any particular kind of workloads (CIF in your case). Please feel free to tune it as you need or you may try to integrate IPP codecs with any third party splitter.

Vladimir

It can't be the 4 megabyte buffer causing the splitter's initialisation delay then. Otherwise I'd be seeing delays of 40-60 seconds. This is not the case. I see delays of 5-10 seconds. There must be something else causing the delay. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks.
0 Kudos