Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Possible to install Parallel Studio 2011 and Parallel Studio XE 2016 on one PC

Pham_Minh_N_
Beginner

Hi staff,

I am using Parallel Studio 2011 and Visual Studio 2008. 

But I'd like to install more Parallel Studio XE 2016 and Visual Studio 2015.

First, I've installed Visual Studio 2015. Then, I continue to install Parallel Studio XE 2016 and get the message:

"Intel(R) Parallel Composer 2011 Integration(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio* is already installed.
If you proceed to install, the Intel Parallel Composer 2011 IDE integration(s) will be uninstalled and the Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2016 Composer Edition for C++ Windows* IDE integration will be installed. You will no longer be able to select Intel Parallel Composer 2011, 12.0 or older Intel C++ Compilers from the Visual Studio IDE (if it is currently installed)."

When I read the release note of Parallel Studio XE 2016, can mention:

"You do not need to uninstall previous versions or updates before installing a newer version – the new version will coexist with the older versions"

That's why I'd like to ask " Is it possible to make two version Parallel Studio in one PC" or "Can two version of Parallel Studio be coexisted"?

Looking forward your reply,

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Hi,

I think that coexistence of two versions of Intel Parallel Studio and coexistence of two versions of Visual Studio integration is not the same.

I usually set folders of IPP *.h and *.lib files directly in Visual Stuidio project.

In addition to folder location, you can set inside Visual Studio what header and LIB files you want to enable in your project (their filenames are different in different version of IPP).

And finally if you will load DLLs with LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress() (or link IPP statically) you can use more than 2 versions of Intel Parallel Studio on the same PC.

Best regards,
Roman

0 Kudos
Pham_Minh_N_
Beginner

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your reply

I have some projects built by VS 2008 and Parallel Studio 2011, using Intel Compiler C++ 12 to build

Now I need to create some projects to use VS 2015 and Parallel Studio XE 2016, using Intel Compiler C++ 16 to build.

But I have problem when I install Parallel Studio XE 2016, Parallel Studio 2011 and Intel compiler C++12.0 are automatically uninstalled. So I can't continue using Intel Compiler C++ 12 to build projects in VS 2008.

My purpose is, I'd like to use projects in VS 2008 built Intel Compiler C++ 12 and use projects in VS 2015 built Intel Compiler C++ 16 in one PC.

Note: Parallel Studio XE 2016 only supports for VS2010, VS2012, VS2013, VS2015 not VS2008. So, I can't use Intel Compiler C++ 16 to build project in VS2008 for optimization purpose.

0 Kudos
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Hi,

I got some information how to switch between multiple versions of Intel C++ Compiler inside MS Visual Studio.

Selecting the Compiler Version

If you have multiple versions of the Intel® C++ Compiler installed, you can select which version you want from the Compiler Selection dialog box:

1. Select a project, then go to Tools > Options > Intel Compilers and Tools > C++ > Compilers.

2. Use the Selected Compiler drop-down menu to select the appropriate version of the compiler.

3. Click OK

So, in theory 2 versions of Intel C++ Compiler can coexist on the same PC.

One really important thing, you wrote above, is a list of Visual Studio versions that are supported by Intel Parallel Studio.

Let's try to find Intel C++ 12 and Intel C++16 inside Visual Studio :)

Best regards,
Roman

0 Kudos