Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Read Web URL videos

prashanth34
Beginner
Hi,

For one of my application, I need to read the videos from web like from youtube or cnn and process them. But I did not find any software which can allow me to read videos from web. I would like to know whether IPP have any function which can do this task. If yes can anyone give me an example of how to do it? Its bit urgent.
Thanks,
Prashanth.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
Hello Prahanth,

The IPP library, and its associated sample files, are designed to help you with the low-level implementation of algorithms that emply vector and matrix math. How you perform I/O to send and receive data is outside the scope of the library's purpose.

There are many free and fee-based applications out there that can capture a streaming video and save it to a file. The IPP library does not do this.

Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
prashanth34
Beginner
Thanks Paul. I mean I don't want to save the video to a file. Just like VLC player opens the network stream and plays the stream, I need something like that then I would like to read the frames and do the processing on the individual frames. So, is there any other way to do it?

Thanks,
Prashanth.
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
Hello Prashanth,

Sorry, but the IPP library does not provide sophisticated I/O functions. It only provides the functions you need once you have captured the stream, for processing the actual video stream. It does not contain features to help capture a stream, that is outside the scope of the library.

Paul
0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Hi Prashanth,

For the video, there are different formats. You need to specify which format of the video you want to decode. The video format IPP can support can be found here: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/collateral/hpc/ipp/ipp_indepth.pdf

If you want to only focus on the Flash Video, currently IPP UMC sample does not include such decoder.

thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
prashanth34
Beginner
Hi Chao,
Just any video format I mean for example a youtube video which is playing in the background can be read directly by giving just the web url address of it and the video can be played by using IPP library. Is that possible?
Thanks,
Prashanth.
0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Hi Prashanth,

Most likely, you want to decodethe flash videos. IPP does not include the high level sample code for that now.

Thanks,
Chao
0 Kudos