cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fk
Beginner

Text relocations with IPP merged libraries

Hello,

Apologies for cross posting, I replied to this post (http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=56758#52320) by mistake and now I can't delete it.

We have a similar problem here. We are building a shared library linked against the following:

IPPLibs = ['ippiemerged', 'ippcvemerged', 'ippsemerged', 'ippccemerged', 'ippmemerged', 'ippimerged', 'ippcvmerged', 'ippsmerged', 'ippccmerged', 'ippmmerged', 'ippcore']

However eu-findtextrel return a whole list of problems of the following type:
"the file containing the function 'ippiAdd_8u_C1IRSfs' is not compiled with -fpic/-fPIC"
etc.

SELinux then will not allow our .so to be loaded at runtime.

Is this a problem with the way the ipp merged libraries were compiled or something I am doing wrong?
If its any use we found we had to use -fpic and also define PIC (-DPIC) when compiling our other libraries (using gcc).

Regards,
Francis.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Francis,

did you notice that we provide both variants (PIC and non-PIC) for IPP static libraries? Please see nonpic subfolder in lib folder.

Regards,
Vladimir

fk
Beginner

Hi Vladimir,

Yes I did notice that. I tried setting the library path to
"-L /opt/intel/ipp/5.3.1.062/ia32/lib/nonpic" but unfortunately to no avail. Again if I run eu-findtextrel on the .so that I build it outputs pages of results stating "the file containing the function *** is not compiled with -fpic/-fPIC" where all the *** are ipp functions.

Thanks,
Francis.
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

could you please provide OS version and ld command line you use?

Vladimir

fk
Beginner

Hi Vladimir,

The OS is Fedora Core 8, version 2.6.23.9-85.fc8
The gcc version is: gcc version 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)
We use scons for our build managment. Here is the command used to build our IPP shared library:

g++ -o BuildProducts/Release/MediaIO_build/GPPIPAPI_IPP/libGPPIPAPI_IPP.so -L/opt/intel/ipp/5.3.1.062/ia32/lib -shared BuildProducts/Release/MediaIO_build/GPPIPAPI_IPP/IPPConversion.os BuildProducts/Release/MediaIO_build/GPPIPAPI_IPP/GPPIPAPI_IPP_fourier.os BuildProducts/Release/MediaIO_build/GPPIPAPI_IPP/GPPIPAPIFuncs.os BuildProducts/Release/MediaIO_build/GPPIPAPI_IPP/GPPIPAPI_IPP.os -LThirdParty/i686 -LBuildProducts/GPP -LThirdParty -lVideoFrame -lVideoFileIO -lVideoFrame -lGPPSystem -lDeInterlacer -lbz2 -ltiff -lz -ljpeg -lippiemerged -lippcvemerged -lippsemerged -lippccemerged -lippmemerged -lippimerged -lippcvmerged -lippsmerged -lippccmerged -lippmmerged -lippcore

Thanks,
Francis
Pavel_B_Intel1
Employee

Hi!

I've built thecustom shared library from IPP libraries without any problesm:

ld -shared -zdefs -o libtest.so library.script lib/libippvcemerged.a lib/libippvcmerged.a lib/libippacemerged.a lib/libippacmerged.a lib/libippjemerged.a lib/libippjmerged.a lib/libippdcemerged.a lib/libippdcmerged.a lib/libippccemerged.a lib/libippccmerged.a lib/libippcpemerged.a lib/libippcpmerged.a lib/libippscemerged.a lib/libippscmerged.a lib/libippsremerged.a lib/libippsrmerged.a lib/libippvmemerged.a lib/libippvmmerged.a lib/libippchemerged.a lib/libippchmerged.a lib/libippremerged.a lib/libipprmerged.a lib/libippmemerged.a lib/libippmmerged.a lib/libippcvemerged.a lib/libippcvmerged.a lib/libippiemerged.a lib/libippimerged.a lib/libippsemerged.a lib/libippsmerged.a lib/libippcore.a -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.2 -lgcc -lm -lc

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
Linux2.6.23.1-42.fc8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 30 13:55:12 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

GCC:

gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

LD:

GNU ld version 2.17.50.0.18-1 20070731
Copyright 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

Note: it is very important to point libraries in link string in right order because ld has only 1 pass and can resolve symbols only from left to right. For you the right order:

-lippcvemerged -lippcvmerged -lippccemerged -lippccmerged -lippiemerged -lippimerged -lippmemerged -lippmmerged -lippsemerged -lippsmerged-lippcore

Please try to point the IPP libraries in such order and do you use the IA32 OS?

Pavel

fk
Beginner

Hi Pavel,

I'm not sure if you read my previous posts or not. The problem is not in trying to build the shared library, I can do that without error. The problem is that if I use the static libraries in either "-L/opt/intel/ipp/5.3.1.062/ia32/lib/" or "-L /opt/intel/ipp/5.3.1.062/ia32/lib/nonpic" I get a shared library which has text relocations. SELinux then does not allow this to be loaded. And yes I am using IA32 OS.

Francis.