Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

UMC Samples Not Functioning Correctly

bmkeller
Beginner
I'm havingtroubles with the UMC samples straight out of the box. Compiling and running the samples without making any source code changes, I have the following issues:

umc_video_enc_con. I can export encoded files, but they appear incorrectly formatted for H.264 and MPEG-4 encodings. All players say that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have tried the defaults provided in the respective .par files and many permutations of each. I can encode MPEG-2 without issues, but am obviously more interested in the more modern codecs.

umc_h264_dec_con. I am unable to run this application. I always receive a "Video Decoder creation failed" error. Again, I have tried the default settings and a number of permutations.

I'm excited to use the IPP libraries for my H.264 encoding/decoding. Any help resolving these issues is greatly appreciated.

Versions:
IPP 6.1.1.035
Intel Compiler: 11.1.046
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
UMC video encoder application creates so called raw video files. It is the simplest way of storing compressed video data. As far as I know some players do not support that simplest format. But you should be able to play the files with UMC video decoder. You may check application's readme.htm and UMC manual for more details

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
bmkeller
Beginner

Is there a link that describes what I need to do to turn the raw encoded stream from the UMC sampleinto a format that traditional media players (e.g., QuickTime) will be able to play back?

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
I think you need to to study QuickTime container format (MOV file type). With this knowledge you will be able to create MOV muxer which will wrap raw video to MOV file.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
Emmanuel_W_
New Contributor I
Quoting - bmkeller

Is there a link that describes what I need to do to turn the raw encoded stream from the UMC sampleinto a format that traditional media players (e.g., QuickTime) will be able to play back?

Up to version 0.98 the VLC player is able to playback raw .264 file generated by the UMC encoder sample (it doesn't work after version 0.98).
If you just want to validate that what you encode is correct you can run the stream against the reference implementation.
I haven't played with mpeg4 in a while but I think I used to be able to play the raw stream directly with QuickTime player.
For .264, you can go the mov route, the detail specification of the file format is available on the apple developer site.

Emmanuel
0 Kudos