Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Using IPP for jpg encoding

jrnorrisjr
Beginner
I have a simple application that scans an image using a linear CCD and want to take the scanned image and create a compressed jpeg file. I'm looking to use a low-cost board that has a PXA255 or PXA270 processor. I would like to know if the IPP software suitable for this application? Also if anyone knows of a source of low-cost all-in-one (e.g. USB, LCD, etc.) small form-factor boards that support this, I'd appreciate some links as well.

Thanks in Advance,
Jim
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi Jim,
I believe we can use IPP because of its performance. We have several JPEG related samples, you can use for the refernce how to use IPP to build JPEG codec. Did you look at them?
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
jrnorrisjr
Beginner
Thanks for the reply Vladimir. We are looking at the sample code now to see if we can get it to work for our application. I think performance will be ok but will need to do some benchmarking on some hardware with the PXA255 or 270.

Jim

Message Edited by jrnorrisjr on 11-19-2004 05:32 AM

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Great! Jim, could you please share here your results, it would be useful for us to know is performance IPP can deliver satisfy your needs or not. So we will know what we can do more. Other question is about fetaures, how do you think about IPP functionality for JPEG, is it appropriate, enough, usable or not?
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
jrnorrisjr
Beginner
I'd be happy to share althoughI still need to acquire aplatform to do some benchmarching first. This is also a low priority project for me so it might be a while. :smileyhappy:
Jim
0 Kudos