Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

ipp filter problems

steffenroeber
Beginner
Hi,
I have two problems with the ipp filter functions.
IppiSize dstROI = {718, 404}
IppiSize kernelSize = {3, 3}
IppiPoint anchorIpp = {-1, -1};
status = ippiFilter32f_8u_C1R(u8srcdata, 718, u8dstdata, 718,
dstROI, &kernelMatrix(0, 0), kernelSize, anchorIpp);

return always -14 (step error), altough the step is not less than dstROI.height.

2. If i use
status = ippiFilterLowpass_8u_AC4R(i_src->getPixel(pixelOffset, pixelOffset), yPitch,
dstImg->getPixel(pixelOffset, pixelOffset), yPitch, dstROI, mask);

for example, then the alpha channel of the destination image is always 0.
Cananybody help me?

Regards
Steffen
0 Kudos
10 Replies
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
Hi Steffen,

I think the step size needs to be in bytes instead of samples. Not sure about the alpha channel problem.

Peter
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Steffen,

Quoting steffenroeber
I have two problems with the ipp filter functions...
IppiSize dstROI = {718, 404}
IppiSize kernelSize = {3, 3}
IppiPoint anchorIpp = {-1, -1};
status = ippiFilter32f_8u_C1R(u8srcdata, 718, u8dstdata, 718,

return always -14 (step error), altough the step is not less than dstROI.height.

These two values don't look right. This is what a header says forippiFilter32f_8u_C1R:

// Parameters:
// pSrc Pointer to the source buffer
// srcStep Step in bytes through the source image buffer
// pDst Pointer to the destination buffer
// dstStep Step in bytes through the destination image buffer
// dstRoiSize Size of the source and destination ROI in pixels
// pKernel Pointer to the kernel values ( 32f kernel )
// kernelSize Size of the rectangular kernel in pixels.
// anchor Anchor cell specifying the rectangular kernel alignment
// with respect to the position of the input pixel

and for ippiMalloc set of functions:

// Parameter:
// widthPixels width of image in pixels
// heightPixels height of image in pixels
// pStepBytes the pointer to the image step, it is an out parameter calculated
// by the function

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
status = ippiFilter32f_8u_C1R(u8srcdata,
718, u8dstdata, 718,

return always
-14 (step error), altough the step is not less than dstROI.height

It is recommended to use a value forthe'Step In Bytes' parameters returned from IPP memory allocation functions,
like ippiMalloc_xxx orippsMalloc_xxx.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
steffenroeber
Beginner
But for 8 bit images the ypitch is the same like the width of the roi, isn't it?
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
No necessarily. If you used the IPP malloc routine it may allocate more per line to try and get the start of each line to align with a certain byte alignment to allow the use of vector instructions. If you're managing the memory your self, then most likely yes. Note that the filter function you're using is on 32-bit floating point data, so the step size will be at least 4 times the width.

Peter
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting pvonkaenel
... Note that the filter function you're using is on 32-bit floating point data, so the step size will be at least 4 times the width...

Here is a declaration of the function:

IPPAPI( IppStatus, ippiFilter32f_8u_C1R, ( const Ipp8u* pSrc, int srcStep,
Ipp8u* pDst, int dstStep, IppiSize dstRoiSize, const Ipp32f* pKernel,
IppiSize kernelSize, IppiPoint anchor ))

As you can see it uses a floating point type only for the kernel.

0 Kudos
steffenroeber
Beginner
I don't understand. The docu says:
ippStsStepErr:
Indicates an error condition if one the step value is less than roiSize.width*sizeof(pSrc)*numberOfChannels.

My roiSize.width=718, sizeof(pSrc) = 1, numberOfChannels =1
-> 718
and my step value is also 718. Do, what does this has to du with the ippimalloc?

Maybe the questions: Is the step val related to the original image or to the dstRoiSize?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I don't understand. The docu says:
ippStsStepErr:
Indicates an error condition if one the step value is less than roiSize.width*sizeof(pSrc)*numberOfChannels.

My roiSize.width=718, sizeof(pSrc) = 1, numberOfChannels =1
-> 718
and my step value is also 718. Do, what does this has to du with the ippimalloc?...

[SergeyK] It returns a 'Step Bytes' value. For example:
...ippiMalloc_8u_C1( iSrcWidth, iSrcHeight, &iSrcStepBytes );

Steffen,

How did you allocate the memory for yoursource and destinationimages? Did you use someippiMalloc_xxx function?

In order to help you here is a very small test-case and please take a look / investigate:
[cpp] ... // Sub-Test 06 - Tests for 'ippiMalloc_8u_C1' and 'CrtMalloc' functions { CrtPrintf( RTU("Sub-Test 06n") ); // ippiMalloc_8u_C1: Max Image size = 34207 x 34207 // CrtMalloc : Max Image size = 34208 x 34208 Ipp8u *pSrcImage = RTnull; Ipp8u *pDstImage = RTnull; while( RTtrue ) { RTint iSrcWidth; RTint iSrcHeight; iSrcWidth = 34207; // For ippiMalloc_8u_C1 function ( ~1.08975GB ) iSrcHeight = 34207; // iSrcWidth = 34208; // For CrtMalloc function ( ~1.08982GB ) // iSrcHeight = 34208; CrtPrintf( RTU("Source Image size: %5ld x %5ldn"), iSrcWidth, iSrcHeight ); RTint iSrcStepBytes = -1; iSrcStepBytes = iSrcWidth; pSrcImage = ( Ipp8u * )::ippiMalloc_8u_C1( iSrcWidth, iSrcHeight, &iSrcStepBytes ); // pSrcImage = ( Ipp8u * )::CrtMalloc( iSrcWidth * iSrcHeight * sizeof( RTuchar ) ); if( pSrcImage == RTnull ) { CrtPrintf( RTU("Memory for Source Image is NOT allocatedn") ); break; } CrtPrintf( RTU("Memory for Source Image is allocatedn") ); IppiSize srcSize = { 0 }; srcSize.width = ( RTint )( iSrcWidth * iSrcHeight ); srcSize.height = 1; // st = ::ippiSet_8u_C1R( 1, pSrcImage, 1, srcSize ); // if( st != ippStsNoErr ) // { // CrtPrintf( RTU("[ ippiSet_8u_C1R ] Failedn") ); // break; // } // CrtPrintf( RTU("[ ippiSet_8u_C1R ] Completedn") ); break; } SysSleep( 2000 ); if( pSrcImage != RTnull ) { ::ippiFree( pSrcImage ); // For ippiMalloc_8u_C1 function // CrtFree( pSrcImage ); // For CrtMalloc function pSrcImage = RTnull; CrtPrintf( RTU("Memory for Source Image deallocatedn") ); } } ...[/cpp]Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
steffenroeber
Beginner
Hi,
I used my own memorly allocation. And I fixed the issue meanwhile. It seems that I have to use the step value of the whole image instead of the ROI. At least this does not create this error code.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...I used my own memorly allocation...

[SergeyK] This is OK and I also use 'malloc' instead of 'ippiMalloc_xxx' in some cases. But, I always verify a 'Step Byte' value with
a right'ippiMalloc_xxx' function and then use it.

And I fixed the issue meanwhile. It seems that I have to use the step value of the whole image instead of the ROI. At least this does not create this error code.

0 Kudos