Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

ippGetCpuType() does not specific intel cpu ?

Gaiger_Chen
New Contributor I
Hi:

I would like to use IppStatus ippGetCpuType(void ), I found that the function is just return type, instead of model.

for example, my CPU is duel core E6500 2.93GHz.
The model is ippCpuC2D (or ippCpuCoreDuo ), but the return is ippCpuSSSE3.
Then move to atom platform, it returns ippCpuBonnell.

In AMD althon II 215, it returns ippCpuSSSE3. (of course)

So, may I ask, what desk cpu the ippGetCpuType would return mdel instead of type ?

thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
Hello Gaiger,

Confusing results. I will request clarification on exactly what to expect from this function.

Have you looked at the CPUID sample? It provides a significant amount of information about the platform you are running on.

Also, you might review the Common Functions pages in the reference manual, especially the ippGetCpuType and ippGetCpuFeatures pages.

Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
Hello Gaiger,

Some follow up regarding the confusing nature of the enumerations associated with the ippGetCpuType() function, from our engineering group.

Note that this function provides sufficient information to control library dispatching, nothing more, and is not intended to be used as a processor identification tool. For that it is best to use the CpuInfo sample or a third-party tool, like CPU-Z.

Regards,

Paul

When this function was developed (1999) there were several cpu types and we could support all of them by names/models. Now Intel ships ~50 different cpu models. Since the purpose of this function is to direct library dispatching, we return only those features that are taken into account for that purpose.

0 Kudos