Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

problem linking under ipp5.3 update2 when using function ippGetCpuFreqmhz

Bill_B_
Beginner
I have upgraded to ipp5.3 update 2 from ipp5.2. I try to compile my source using the Intel compiler in the same way but the linker now throws the error:

ippcorel.lib(ippcpufreq.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __time64

I am using other core library functions, and my source compiles and links fine if I comment out:

ippGetCpuFreqMhz(pInt);

It compiles and links with that function using ipp versions 5.2 and earlier.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

it is known issue, reported against MSVC 6.0 and VC2003. They do not provide _time64 functions in C run-time libraries. You may migrate to VC2005 otherwise you should not call ippGetCpuFreq function.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
bill-brinson
Beginner
Hi,

Thanks for the information. I am compiling from the Intel IA-32 command line. I do have MSVC6 and MS Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1 installed. I was wondering why I can compile and link with IPP 5.2 and previous versions when using ippGetCpuFreq. Was there a change in IPP 5.3 (I'm using update 2) related to _time64?

Thanks again,
Bill
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Bill,

the change is that IPP 5.3 was compiled with support for vc2005 CRT. Although we minimaze the use ofCRT functions in IPP,we still needed in malloc/free and time64 calls

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
bill-brinson
Beginner
Thanks Vladimir,

That clears that issue up. In currently in the process of installing the MSVC2005 redistributable runtime.

Bill
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

I'm affraid that will not be enough. Redistributable run-time help for run-time issues, but will not help MSVC 6.0 or vc2003. They link the old libraries which do not have _time64 function.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
bill-brinson
Beginner
Hi Vladimir,

I'm downloading VC2005 Express and MS SDK 2008. My connection is rather slow so it looks like I'll be rebuilding my apps tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bill
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

I think it should be enough to have vc2005 express to solve that issue. You may need SDK only if your application use something not availbale in VC Express edition (like MFC)

Vladimir

0 Kudos
bill-brinson
Beginner
Hi,

I installed VC2005 express and I now get a bunch of compiler errors related to the xutility file in .Microsoft Visual Studio 8VCINCLUDE. I don't get any other errors. I few Google searches have turned up nothing other than verifying that the -Qvc8 flag is used in the icl.cfg file. I can compile my EM64T versions of my code with no errors (using MS PSDK 2003 Server R2). I just get the xutility errors when compiling IA-32 versions. Any insights?

Bill
0 Kudos